Historical Period: The 19th Century
Augustin Thierry (1795-1856) was a classical liberal historian who pioneered the collection, publication, and analysis of primary sources, especially for medieval French history. One of the themes of his work was the study of ruling elites or classes who came to power often through conquest.
Quotes from Augustin Thierry:
- Augustin Thierry on the need for songs about our lost liberties which will act as a barrier to encroaching power
- Augustin Thierry relates the heroic tale of the Kentishmen who defeat William the Conqueror and so are able to keep their ancient laws and liberties
- Augustin Thierry laments that the steady growth of liberty in France had been disrupted by the cataclysm of the French Revolution
Titles from Augustin Thierry:
- Author: The Formation and Progress of the Tiers État, or Third Estate in France 2 vols
- Author: The Historical Essays and Narratives of the Merovingian Era
- Author: History of the Conquest of England by the Normans 2 vols.