Historical Period: The 19th Century
John Bright (1811-1889) was a Quaker and a Member of Parliament who was active with Richard Cobden in opposing the Corn Laws and the war against Russia in the Crimea.
Bright featured as the November 2020 OLL Birthday, Read it here.
Quotes from John Bright:
- John Bright denounces the power of the war party
- John Bright calls British foreign policy “a gigantic system of (welfare) for the aristocracy”
- John Bright on war as the horrors, atrocities, crimes, and sufferings of which it is capable
Titles from John Bright:
- Introduction: The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass: From 1817-1882
- Author: Selected Speeches of the Rt. Hon. John Bright M.P. On Public Questions
- Author: Speeches on Questions of Public Policy, 2 vols.
- Editor: Speeches on Questions of Public Policy, 2 vols.