American Early Republic: Bibliography of Primary Sources
More authoritative texts of the documents printed in the collection may be found in the following sources:
Adams, Charles Francis, ed. The Works of John Adams. 10 vols. Boston: Little, Brown, 1850–1856.
Adams, Henry, ed. The Writings of Albert Gallatin. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott, 1870.
Allen, W. B., ed. The Works of Fisher Ames, as Published by Seth Ames. 2 vols. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 1983.
Banning, Lance, ed. Jefferson and Madison: Three Conversations from the Founding. Madison, Wisc.: Madison House, 1995.
Boyd, Julian P., et al., eds. The Papers of Thomas Jefferson. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1950–.
Cappon, Lester J., ed. The Adams-Jefferson Letters: The Complete Correspondence between Thomas Jefferson and Abigail and John Adams. 2 vols. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1959.
Commager, Henry Steele, and Milton Cantor, eds. Documents of American History. 2 vols. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1988.
Cunningham, Noble E., Jr., ed. The Early Republic, 1789–1828. New York: Harper and Row, 1968.
Dallas, George Mifflin. Life and Writings of Alexander James Dallas. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott, 1871.
Depauw, Linda Grant, et al., eds. Documentary History of the First Federal Congress of the United States of America, March 4, 1789–March 3, 1791. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1972–.
Elliot, Jonathan, ed. The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. 5 vols. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1834–1856.
Foner, Philip S., ed. The Democratic-Republican Societies, 1790–1800: A Documentary Sourcebook of Constitutions, Declarations, Addresses, Resolutions, and Toasts. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1972.
Gales, Joseph, comp. The Debates and Proceedings in the Congress of the United States. 42 vols. Washington, D.C.: Gales and Seaton, 1834–1856. Commonly referred to as Annals of Congress.
Hutchinson, William T., et al., eds. The Papers of James Madison. Chicago and Charlottesville: University of Chicago Press and University Press of Virginia, 1962–.
Jensen, Merrill, et al., eds. The Documentary History of the Ratification of the Constitution. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1976–.
King, Charles R., ed. The Life and Correspondence of Rufus King. 6 vols. New York: G. P. Putnam’s Sons, 1894–1900.
Kohn, Richard H., ed. “Judge Alexander Addison on the Origin and History of the Whiskey Rebellion.” In The Whiskey Rebellion: Past and Present Perspectives, edited by Steven R. Boyd. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1985.
Letters of Abigail Adams to Her Husband. Boston: Little, Brown, 1886.
Marsh, Philip M., ed. A Freneau Sampler. New York: Scarecrow Press, 1963.
Meyers, Marvin, ed. The Mind of the Founder: Sources of the Political Thought of James Madison. Rev. ed. Hanover, N.H.: University Press of New England, 1981.
Mitchell, Stewart, ed. New Letters of Abigail Adams, 1788–1801. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1947.
Peterson, Merrill D., ed. Thomas Jefferson: Writings. New York: Literary Classics of the United States, 1984.
Smith, James Morton, ed. The Republic of Letters: The Correspondence Between Thomas Jefferson and James Madison 1776–1826. 3 vols. New York: W. W. Norton, 1995.
Storing, Herbert J., ed. The Complete Anti-federalist. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1981.
Syrett, Harold C., and Jacob E. Cooke, eds. The Papers of Alexander Hamilton. 26 vols. New York: Columbia University Press, 1961–1979.
Veit, Helen E., Kenneth R. Bowling, and Charlene Banks Bickford, eds. Creating the Bill of Rights: The Documentary Record from the First Federal Congress. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1991.
- 18thC Middle Class Radicalism: A Bibliographical Essay by Isaac Kramnick
- Alexis de Tocqueville: A Bibliographical Essay by John Lukacs
- American Anti-Interventionist Tradition: A Bibliographical Essay by Justus Doenecke
- American Early Republic: Bibliography of Primary Sources
- American Revolution as a People’s War: A Bibliographical Essay by William Marina
- American Revolution: A Bibliographical Essay by Murray N. Rothbard
- Arthur Young: A Bibliography
- Bach’s Christmas Oratorio
- Bastiat: An Annotated Bibliography by Sheldon Richman
- Benjamin Tucker and Liberty: A Bibliographical Essay by Wendy McElroy
- Buchanan: A Bibliography of His Writings
- Chaucer: A List of His Works
- Chinese Classic Poetry: The Shih King
- Coke: Selected Readings on Sir Edward Coke
- Destutt de Tracy (1754-1836): An Annotated Bibliography by David Hart
- Economics and Ideology: Aspects of the Post-Ricardian Literature by S. Hollander
- Edmund Burke: A Select Bibliography
- Ethics in the 20th Century: A Bibliographical Essay by John Hospers
- Founding Father’s Library
- Founding Father’s Library: A Bibliographical Essay by Forrest McDonald
- Frank A. Fetter: A Bibliography
- Frank Chodorov: A Selected Bibliography
- Frank H. Knight: An Annotated Bibliography by Ross Emmett
- Friedrich Hayek: A Bibliography of his Writings
- Gustave de Molinari (1819-1912): An Annotated Bibliography by David Hart
- Hayek and Classical Liberalism: A Bibliographical Essay by John Gray
- Hugo Grotius and the Free Seas: A Bibliography
- Huss and the Church
- Idea of Progress: A Bibliographical Essay by Robert Nisbet
- International Trade: A Bibliography
- Jefferson-Hamilton Debate - Session 1
- Jefferson-Hamilton Debate - Session 2
- Jefferson-Hamilton Debate - Session 3
- Jefferson-Hamilton Debate - Session 4
- Jefferson-Hamilton Debate - Session 5
- Jefferson-Hamilton Debate - Session 6
- Jevons: The Writings of William Stanley Jevons
- Johannes Althusius: A Bibliography
- John Jay (1745-1829)
- Kantian Natural Law: A Bibliography
- Lachmann : A Bibliography
- Laissez Faire in Nineteenth-Century Britain: A Bibligraphical Essay by Ellen F. Paul
- Legal History: A Selected Bibliography
- Libertarian Political Philosophy: A Bibliographical Essay by David Gordon
- Locke and Religious Toleration
- Locke on Property: A Bibliographical Essay by Karen Vaughn
- Marxism: A Reading List by H.B. Acton
- Mercy Otis Warren: A Bibliography
- Monetary Reform: A Bibliographical Essay by Pamela J. Brown
- Natural Law: A Bibliographical Essay by Henry Veatch
- Natural Law: A Select Bibliography
- Petrarch: A Bibliography
- Property Rights and Natural Resource Management: A Bibliographical Essay by Stroup and Baden
- Pufendorf and the German Empire: A Bibliography
- Radical Individualism in America: A Bibliographical Essay by Eric Foner
- Ramsay, David: A Bibliography
- Reader’s Forum on Norman Barry’s “The Tradition of Spontaneous Order”
- Richard Cobden: A Bibliography
- Roscoe Pound’s Bibliography on Law
- Say (1767-1832): An Annotated Bibliography by David Hart
- Separation of Powers: A Bibliography by Vile
- St. Francis of Assisi: Bibliography
- Taylor, John: A Bibliography
- The Anti-Federalists: A Bibliography
- The Tradition of Spontaneous Order: A Bibliographical Essay by Norman Barry
- Turgot (1727-1781): An Annotated Bibliography by David Hart
- Utopia and Liberty: A Bibliographical Essay by Kingsley Widmer
- William Graham Sumner: A Bibliography
- William James Ashley’s Bibliographical Appendix to John Stuart Mill’s Principles of Political Economy