The Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, Volume XIX - Essays on Politics and Society Part 2
Vol. 19 of the 33 vol. Collected Works contains a number of Mill’s essays on politics and his book Considerations on Representative Government.
The Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, Volume XIX - Essays on Politics and Society Part II, ed. John M. Robson, Introduction by Alexander Brady (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1977).
The online edition of the Collected Works is published under licence from the copyright holder, The University of Toronto Press. ©2006 The University of Toronto Press. All rights reserved. No part of this material may be reproduced in any form or medium without the permission of The University of Toronto Press.
|Facsimile PDF small||This is a compressed facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.||4.71 MB|
|HTML||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.||1.52 MB|
|Kindle||This is an E-book formatted for Amazon Kindle devices.||845 KB|
Table of Contents
- THOUGHTS ON PARLIAMENTARY REFORM 1859
- RECENT WRITERS ON REFORM 1859
- CONSIDERATIONS ON REPRESENTATIVE GOVERNMENT 1861
- CHAPTER I: To What Extent Forms of Government are a Matter of Choice
- CHAPTER II: The Criterion of a Good Form of Government
- CHAPTER III: That the Ideally Best Form of Government is Representative Government
- CHAPTER IV: Under What Social Conditions Representative Government is Inapplicable
- CHAPTER V: Of the Proper Functions of Representative Bodies
- CHAPTER VI: Of the Infirmities and Dangers to which Representative Government is Liable
- CHAPTER VII: Of True and False Democracy; Representation of All, and Representation of the Majority Only
- CHAPTER VIII: Of the Extension of the Suffrage
- CHAPTER IX: Should there be Two Stages of Election?
- CHAPTER X: Of the Mode of Voting
- CHAPTER XI: Of the Duration of Parliaments
- CHAPTER XII: Ought Pledges to be Required from Members of Parliament?
- CHAPTER XIII: Of a Second Chamber
- CHAPTER XIV: Of the Executive in a Representative Government
- CHAPTER XV: Of Local Representative Bodies
- CHAPTER XVI: Of Nationality, as Connected with Representative Government
- CHAPTER XVII: Of Federal Representative Governments
- CHAPTER XVIII: Of the Government of Dependencies by a Free State
- CENTRALISATION 1862
- Appendix A Taylor’s Statesman (1837)
- Appendix B Appendix to Dissertations and Discussions, Vol. I (1859)
- Appendix C Jowett on Civil Service Examinations (1854)
- Appendix D Substantive Variants between the People’s Edition and the final Library Edition of On Liberty
- Appendix E Substantive Variants between the People’s Edition and the final Library Edition of Considerations on Representative Government
- Appendix F Bibliographic Index of Persons and Works Cited in the Essays, with Variants and Notes