History of the Rise and Influence of the Spirit of Rationalism in Europe, vol. 1
Lecky discusses the decline in the belief of magic and miracles, the rise of religious persecution, the gradual secularisation of politics, and the rise of toleration and rationalism.
History of the Rise and Influence of the Spirit of Rationalism in Europe, vol. 1, Revised edition (New York: D. Appleton, 1919).
The text is in the public domain.
- Author: William Edward Hartpole Lecky
- History of the Rise and Influence of the Spirit of Rationalism in Europe, 2 vols. (William Edward Hartpole Lecky)
|EBook PDF||This text-based PDF or EBook was created from the HTML version of this book and is part of the Portable Library of Liberty.||1.05 MB|
|ePub||ePub standard file for your iPad or any e-reader compatible with that format||383 KB|
|Facsimile PDF||This is a facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.||19.6 MB|
|HTML||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.||988 KB|
|Kindle||This is an E-book formatted for Amazon Kindle devices.||538 KB|
Table of Contents
- CONTENTS of THE FIRST VOLUME.
- RATIONALISM IN EUROPE.
- CHAPTER I.: ON THE DECLINING SENSE OF THE MIRACULOUS.
- magic and witchcraft.
- CHAPTER II.: ON THE DECLINING SENSE OF THE MIRACULOUS.
- the miracles of the church.
- CHAPTER III.: ÆSTHETIC, SCIENTIFIC, AND MORAL DEVELOPMENTS OF RATIONALISM.
- CHAPTER IV.: ON PERSECUTION.
- Part I.: the antecedents of persecution.