Sketches of the History of Man, vol. 2
Written late in his life, this 3 volume work deals with the idea of human progress. Vol. 1 deals with progress in property law, commerce, the treatment of women, and luxury. Vol. 2 deals with the development of states, government, and taxation. Vol. 3 deals with the progress of science.
Sketches of the History of Man Considerably enlarged by the last additions and corrections of the author, edited and with an Introduction by James A. Harris (Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2007). 3 Vols. Vol. 2.
The copyright to this edition, in both print and electronic forms, is held by Liberty Fund, Inc.
|EBook PDF||This text-based PDF or EBook was created from the HTML version of this book and is part of the Portable Library of Liberty.||716 KB|
|HTML||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.||769 KB|
|LF Printer PDF||This text-based PDF was prepared by the typesetters of the LF book.||1.05 MB|
Table of Contents
- BOOK II: PROGRESS OF MEN IN SOCIETY
- SKETCH I: Appetite for Society—Origin of National Societies
- SKETCH II: General View of Government
- SKETCH III: Different Forms of Government compared
- SKETCH IV: Progress of States from small to great, and from great to small
- SKETCH V: Great and Small States compared
- SKETCH VI: War and Peace compared
- SKETCH VII: Rise and Fall of Patriotism
- SKETCH VIII: Finances
- SECTION I: General Considerations on Taxes.
- SECTION II: Power of imposing Taxes.
- SECTION III: Different Sorts of Taxes, with their Advantages and Disadvantages.
- SECTION IV: Manner of levying Taxes.
- SECTION V: Rules to be observed in Taxing.
- SECTION VI: Taxes examined with respect to their effects.11
- SECTION VII: Taxes for advancing Industry and Commerce.15
- SKETCH IX: Military Branch of Government
- SKETCH X: Public Police with respect to the Poor
- SKETCH XI: A Great City considered in Physical, Moral, and Political Views
- SKETCH XII: Origin and Progress of American Nations