Sketches of the History of Man, vol. 1
Written late in his life, this 3 volume work deals with the idea of human progress. Vol. 1 deals with progress in property law, commerce, the treatment of women, and luxury. Vol. 2 deals with the development of states, government, and taxation. Vol. 3 deals with the progress of science.
Sketches of the History of Man Considerably enlarged by the last additions and corrections of the author, edited and with an Introduction by James A. Harris (Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2007). 3 Vols. Vol. 1.
The copyright to this edition, in both print and electronic forms, is held by Liberty Fund, Inc.
|EBook PDF||This text-based PDF or EBook was created from the HTML version of this book and is part of the Portable Library of Liberty.||1.1 MB|
|HTML||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.||1.09 MB|
|LF Printer PDF||This text-based PDF was prepared by the typesetters of the LF book.||1.21 MB|
Table of Contents
- Progress and Pessimism
- A NOTE ON THE TEXT
- BOOK I: PROGRESS OF MEN INDEPENDENT OF SOCIETY
- TO THE READER
- SKETCHES of the HISTORY OF MAN.
- Preliminary Discourse, concerning the Origin of Men and of Languages.1
- SKETCH I: Progress respecting Food and Population1
- SKETCH II: Progress of Property1
- SKETCH III: Origin and Progress of Commerce
- SKETCH IV: Origin and Progress of Arts1
- SECTION I: Useful Arts.
- SECTION II: Progress of Taste and of the fine Arts.
- SKETCH V: Manners1
- SKETCH VI: Progress of the Female Sex
- APPENDIX: Concerning Propagation of Animals, and Care of Progeny
- SKETCH VII: Progress and Effects of Luxury