Earth-Hunger and Other Essays (1913)
This is the first of four volumes of essays by Sumner published by Yale University Press after his death in 1910. It includes a series of 15 essays about liberty which he wrote between 1887 and 1889, along with several important essays about his theory of “plutocracy” or what we today would call “crony capitalism”.
Earth-Hunger and Other Essays, ed. Albert Galloway Keller (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1913).
The text is in the public domain.
|HTML||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.||688 KB|
Table of Contents
- PREFATORY NOTE
- Earth-Hunger and Other Essays
- AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF WILLIAM GRAHAM SUMNER
- THE TEACHER’S UNCONSCIOUS SUCCESS
- THE SCIENTIFIC ATTITUDE OF MIND1
- EARTH HUNGER OR THE PHILOSOPHY OF LAND GRABBING 
- PURPOSES AND CONSEQUENCES1
- THE FIRST STEPS TOWARD A MILLENNIUM 
- LIBERTY 1887-1889
- WHAT IS CIVIL LIBERTY? 
- IS LIBERTY A LOST BLESSING? 
- WHO IS FREE?
- Is It the Savage?
- Who Is Free? Is It the Civilized Man?
- Who Is Free? Is It the Millionaire?
- Who Is Free? Is it the Tramp?
- LIBERTY AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Liberty and Law
- Liberty and Discipline
- Liberty and Property
- Liberty and Opportunity
- Liberty and Labor
- Does Labor Brutalize?
- Liberty and Machinery
- The Disappointment of Liberty
- FANTASIES AND FACTS
- SOME POINTS IN THE NEW SOCIAL CREED
- AN EXAMINATION OF A NOBLE SENTIMENT
- THE BANQUET OF LIFE
- SOME NATURAL RIGHTS
- THE ABOLITION OF POVERTY
- THE BOON OF NATURE
- LAND MONOPOLY
- A GROUP OF NATURAL MONOPOLIES
- ANOTHER CHAPTER ON MONOPOLY
- THE FAMILY MONOPOLY
- THE FAMILY AND PROPERTY
- THE STATE AND MONOPOLY
- DEMOCRACY AND PLUTOCRACY
- DEFINITIONS OF DEMOCRACY AND PLUTOCRACY
- THE CONFLICT OF PLUTOCRACY AND DEMOCRACY
- DEMOCRACY AND MODERN PROBLEMS
- SEPARATION OF STATE AND MARKET
- SOCIAL WAR IN DEMOCRACY
- ECONOMICS AND POLITICS 
- THE POWER AND BENEFICENCE OF CAPITAL 
- SOCIOLOGICAL FALLACIES 
- WHAT OUR BOYS ARE READING