Capital: A Critique of Political Economy. 3 vols.
A three volume criticism of the capitalist system by one of the leading theorists of 19th century socialism. Only vol. 1 appeared in Marx’s lifetime (1867); the other two vols. were published posthumously by Engels (1885, 1894). Marx prided himself on having discovered the “laws” which governed the operation of the capitalist system, laws which would inevitably lead to its collapse. A German language version of Das Kapital is also available in HTML and facsimile PDF.
- Other Works by Marx
- Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk’s devastating review of Marx’s Das Kapital (in English and German)
- Topic: Socialism and the Classical Liberal Critique
- People: School of Thought: Socialism
- Debate: Fabian Socialism vs. Radical Liberalism
- Study Guide: Socialism and Marxism
Capital: A Critique of Political Economy. 3 vols. Edited and translated by Frederick Engels and Ernest Untermann (Chicago: Charles H. Kerr and Co., 1909-1910).
The text is in the public domain.