The Works of John Robinson, vol. 2
Vol. 2 of a 3 volume collection of this influential English Puritan minister’s writings, including his A Justification of Separation from the Church of England.
The Works of John Robinson, Pastor of the Pilgrim Fathers, with a Memoir and Annotations by Robert Ashton, 3 vols (London: John Snow, 1851). Vol. 2.
The text is in the public domain.
|EBook PDF||This text-based PDF or EBook was created from the HTML version of this book and is part of the Portable Library of Liberty.||1.24 MB|
|ePub||ePub standard file for your iPad or any e-reader compatible with that format||478 KB|
|Facsimile PDF||This is a facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.||54.9 MB|
|HTML||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.||1.27 MB|
|Kindle||This is an E-book formatted for Amazon Kindle devices.||685 KB|
Table of Contents
- to the christian reader.
- INTRODUCTION. certain observations upon the epistle dedicatory: and preface to the reader.
- CHAPTER I.: mr. bernard's counsels debated. Of the Author's Advertisements, called by him Christian, and Counsels of Peace.
- sect. I.—first class of counsels.*
- sect. II.—second class of counsels.*
- sect. III.—on scrupulosity of conscience.
- CHAPTER II.: mr. bernard's dissuasion'S against separation considered.
- CHAPTER III.: mr. bernard's reasons against separation discussed.
- sect. I.—on alleged disclaiming of fellowship with other christians.
- sect. II.—on alleged evils of the system.
- First Error.
- Second Error.
- Third Error.
- Fourth Error.
- Fifth Error.
- Sixth Error.
- How many make a Church, and can a Church exist without Officers?
- The Popular Constitution of the Church.
- Scripture Proofs.
- Apostolic Succession.
- Spiritual Gifts.
- Church Officers Censured.
- Tell the Church.
- Superior Authority of Bishops.
- On Matt, xviii. 15—17, in relation to Church Censures.
- On the Governors of the Church,
- The Apostles not the Church.
- The Jewish Church.
- Supposed Mischiefs of Authority being solely in the Church.
- The word Church used Figuratively.
- Opinion of Reformers respecting Church Authority.
- The Confusion incident to Popular Authority.
- The Duty of the Church towards its Officers.
- On Ministerial Dignity.
- Further Objections.
- On Excommunication by the Church, and not by Officers.
- On Administration of Ordinances by the Church.
- On Prophesying or Preaching,
- On 1 Corinthians, Chapter v.
- 1. Seventh Error.
- On Connivance at Sin.
- On Separation from a Church.
- On the Evils permitted in the Jewish Church.
- On being affected by the Sin of Others.
- On Separation in General.
- Eighth Error.
- On the Kingly Office of Christ.
- On Profession of Religion.
- The True Materials for a Church.
- Is the Church of Rome a true Church!
- The Church of Rome not a True Church.
- Moral Means only allowed by Christ.
- Reformation in the English Church.
- Was the Reformation under Elisabeth voluntary?
- May the Church include the Ungodly?
- The Visible Form of the Church.
- Paul and James on Justification.
- Marks of Union.
- No Profession in the English Church.
- Ungodly Persons cannot be of the True Church.
- Union with the Unholy to be avoided.
- The National Church not under Divine Approval.
- The Properties and Privileges of the Church.
- Power of Excommunication in the National Church.
- Reasons for Excommunication in a true Church.
- Ninth Error.
- Is Ability to Preach a Necessary Qualification for a Minister of the National Church?
- The English Clergy not Mass Priests?
- Is Romish Ordination Valid?
- The Choice of Ministers in the People.
- Reasons for Choice of Ministers by the People.
- Do the Clergy preach the Gospel?
- On Success in the Ministry.
- Properties of True Shepherds.
- On Apostolic Succession.
- Does the Ministry precede the Church or the Church the Ministry?
- Can a Church alone make a Minister?
- On the Ordination of Ministers.
- Who ordains the Pope?
- What is Ordination?
- Scriptural Ordination.
- Tenth Error.
- Sundry Errors.
- False Teachers.
- Christ's Appointments to be observed.
- Ministers should not be required to celebrate Marriage.
- On Tithes or Offerings.
- On the Overthrow of the Churches.
- CHAPTER IV.: the ministers' positions examined.
- The Ministers' Charges—Congregationalists separated from Christ.
- Essential Truths.
- All Foreign Churches acknowledge the English Church.
- The Ministers' Replies to Objections of Separatists.
- I. That the Church of England was not gathered in a Scriptural Manner.
- II.—That the Forms of Worship in the Church of England are not Scriptural or Serviceable.