Miscellaneous Writings, vol. 1
The first volume of a two volume collection of Macaulay’s essays. The first volume contains his essays from Knight’s Quarterly Magazine written during the mid-1820s. The second volume contains essays published in the Edinburgh Review in the 1830s and 1840s; in the Encyclopedia Britannica in the 1850s; and miscellaneous poems and inscriptions.
The Miscellaneous Writings of Lord Macaulay, vol. 1, (London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts, 1860).
The text is in the public domain.
- Author: Thomas Babington, Lord Macaulay
- The Miscellaneous Writings of Lord Macaulay, in 2 vols. (Thomas Babington, Lord Macaulay)
|Facsimile PDF||This is a facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.||21.6 MB|
|HTML||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.||896 KB|
|Kindle||This is an E-book formatted for Amazon Kindle devices.||536 KB|
Table of Contents
- CONTENTS OF THE FIRST VOLUME.
- CONTRIBUTIONS TO KNIGHT’S QUARTERLY MAGAZINE.
- FRAGMENTS OF A ROMAN TALE. (June 1823.)
- ON THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF LITERATURE. (June 1823.)
- SCENES FROM “ATHENIAN REVELS.” (January 1824.) A DRAMA.
- I.: Scene — A Street in Athens.
- II.: Scene—A Hall in the House of Alcibiades.
- CRITICISMS ON THE PRINCIPAL ITALIAN WRITERS. No. I. DANTE. (January 1824.)
- CRITICISMS ON THE PRINCIPAL ITALIAN WRITERS. No. II. PETRARCH. (April 1824.)
- SOME ACCOUNT OF THE GREAT LAWSUIT BETWEEN THE PARISHES OF ST. DENNIS AND ST. GEORGE IN THE WATER. (April 1824.)
- PART I.
- A CONVERSATION BETWEEN MR. ABRAHAM COWLEY AND MR. JOHN MILTON, TOUCHING THE GREAT CIVIL WAR. SET DOWN BY A GENTLEMAN OF THE MIDDLE TEMPLE. (August 1824.)
- ON THE ATHENIAN ORATORS. (August 1824.)
- A PROPHETIC ACCOUNT OF A GRAND NATIONAL EPIC POEM, TO BE ENTITLED “THE WELLINGTONIAD,” AND TO BE PUBLISHED ad 2824. (November, 1824.)
- BOOK I.
- BOOK II.
- BOOK III.
- BOOK IV.
- BOOK V.
- BOOK VI.
- BOOK VII.
- BOOK VIII.
- BOOK IX.
- BOOK X.
- BOOK XI.
- BOOK XII.
- ON MITFORD’S HISTORY OF GREECE. (November 1824.)
- CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE EDINBURGH REVIEW.
- JOHN DRYDEN. (January 1828.)
- MILL ON GOVERNMENT. (March 1829.)
- Proposition I. Theorem.
- WESTMINSTER REVIEWER’S DEFERENCE OF MILL. (June 1829.)
- UTILITARIAN THEORY OF GOVERNMENT. (October 1829.)