November 2021: Pericles' Funeral Oration
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 12-1:30 pm EST.
Please join us for a one-day-only Virtual Reading Group to discuss this famous speech recorded by Thucydides with Alberto Mingardi.
Pre-registration is required. Participants should read Pericles' Funeral Oration (paragraphs 35-46) in preparation for our discussion.
Virtual Reading Groups
- December 2022: Classical Tragedy and the World of Ideas
- December 2022: J.S. Mill “On the Liberty of Thought and Discussion"
- November 2022: The Election of 1800: Jefferson v. Adams
- October 2022: Shakespeare’s First Tetralogy
- September 2022: The Evolution of American Federalism
- September 2022: Liberty and Virtue in the Axial Age
- August 2022: Jane Austen’s Persuasion: Aristocracy, Independence, and Economics
- May 2022: THE BILL OF RIGHTS: SELECT CASES IN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW
- April 2022: Education in a Free Society
- March 2022: Mary Wollstonecraft and the Rights of Women
- March 2022: Ancient v Modern Liberty
- February 2022: Joseph Schumpeter’s “Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy”
- January 2022: James Madison and the Conflict Between the Executive and Legislative Branches
- November 2021: Pericles' Funeral Oration
- September 2021: Celebrate Constitution Day
- August 2021: Agriculture, the State, and Liberty
- June 2021: Adam Ferguson’s History of Civil Society
- May 2021: The Colonial Origins of the Bill of Rights