Front Page Titles (by Subject) The Works of John Adams, vol. 1 (Life of the Author)
John Adams, The Works of John Adams, vol. 1 (Life of the Author) 
The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States: with a Life of the Author, Notes and Illustrations, by his Grandson Charles Francis Adams (Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1856). 10 volumes. Vol. 1.
This Title Is Available In The Following Formats:
|HTML||1.76 MB||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.|
|HTML by Chapter||(varies)||View this title one chapter at a time.|
|Simplified HTML||1.76 MB||This layout is optimized for screen readers and other assistive devices for the visually impaired.|
|Facsimile PDF||34.22 MB|
This is a facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.
|MARC Record||1.66 KB|
This file contains the MARC Record for this title and is part of the Online Library of Liberty Series at WorldCat.
|Facsimile PDF small||13.93 MB|
This is a compressed facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.
A version compatible with Kindle (Mobi format).
|EBook PDF||2.1 MB|
This text-based PDF or EBook was created from the HTML version of this book and is part of the Portable Library of Liberty.
|E-pub||903.42 KB||E-pub standard file for your iPad or any e-reader compatible with that format.|
About this title:
A 10 volume collection of Adams’ most important writings, letters, and state papers, edited by his grandson. Vol. 1 contains a life of Adams by his grandson.
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
The text is in the public domain.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
- The Life of John Adams.
- Preliminary. Respecting the Family of Adams.
- Chapter I.: Education of Mr. Adams—school At Worcester—choice of a Profession.
- Chapter II.: Study and Practice of the Law Until March, 1770.
- Chapter III.: The Boston Massacre—defence of the Soldiers—relations to the Patriots Down to June, 1774.
- Chapter IV.: Entrance Into Public Life—the Congress of 1774—services From That Time Until the Declaration of Independence.
- Chapter V.: Conference With Lord Howe—origin of Parties—foreign and Domestic Policy—services In Congress, From July, 1776, Until November, 1777.
- Chapter VI.: Commission to France—services In Forming a Constitution For Massachusetts—commission to Negotiate Treaties With Great Britain—the Mediation of Russia and Austria—negotiations In Holland.
- Chapter VII.: The Negotiation and Signature of the Treaty of Peace With Great Britain.
- Chapter VIII.: Illness In Europe—commercial Treaties—mission to the Court of Great Britain.
- Chapter IX.: Organization of the New Government—election and Services As Vice-president of the United States.
- Chapter X.: The Presidency.
- Chapter XI.: Retirement From Public Life—occupations—relations With Jefferson—death.
- To Samuel Quincy.
- B.: (page 320.) Extract From the Boston Patriot, 15 May, 1811.
- C.: (page 377.) From the Boston Patriot, 23 October, 1811.
- D.: (page 393.) From the Boston Patriot, 21 August, 1811.
- E.: (page 394.) Extracts From the “moniteur Universel.” No. 358. Dimanche, DÉcembre 23, 1792.
- F.: (page 398.)
- G.: (page 523.)