We try to have all titles available in three different formats:
- facsimile PDF so you can see what the original book looked like
- HTML which is smaller, searchable, and easy to format attractively, and
- PDF E-Book which are self-contained PDF versions of the HTML.
To see what formats are available for any title, go to that title's table of contents page. For example, going to John Locke's Two Treatises of Civil Government shows that it is available in the following formats:
- HTML - this link will open a new file with the entire book displayed in one file, with the bibliographical and copyright material at the top, followed by the linked table of contents, then the entire text of the book)
- HTML by Chapter - this is a link to the full table of contents of the HTML version of the file which can be found immediately below the list of format options
- Facsimile PDF - this link will open the large facsimile PDF version of the file. This PDF will contain linked "bookmarks" or a table of contents to individual sections or chapters within the PDF file.
- Facsimile PDF Small- this link will open a compressed, and hence smaller, facsimile PDF version of the file. This PDF will
contain linked "bookmarks" or a table of contents to individual
sections or chapters within the PDF file.
- E-Book PDF- this link will open a text-based PDF version of the title created from the HTML version. It is a completely self-contained version of the book with all images, fonts, and other matter which is required to view the book. We encourage you to download this version and use it as your own electronic copy of the text. The entire collection of 750 E-Book PDFs from the Online Library of Liberty is available on a DVD - the Portable Library of Liberty - which is available free of charge upon request.
If you wish to view the title in HTML format you have two choices:
- to display the entire book as one file (sometimes quite large) - if you choose this option click on "HTML" in the format options box and a new file will open. Scroll down past the bibliographic and copyright information to the linked table of contents, select the part of the book you wish to read, click on the relevant part of the ToC, and go to that part or section of the text. All the footnotes appear at the end of the HTML text as endnotes.
- to display a section, part, or single chapter of the book as a separate file -if you choose this option either click on the link "HTML by Chapter" in the format options box, or scroll down the page to view the linked table of contents which are reproduced below here.
Table of Contents of Locke's Two Treatises. The options for viewing the text is based upon the level of indentation of the ToC. To view just the text in the Preface (and no text from Book I or Book II) click on "Preface"; to view all the chapters of Book I (and not the Preface or any of Book II) click on "Of Government: Book I"; to view all the chapters in Book II (and none of the Preface or none of Book I) click on "Of Civil Government: Book II). If you wish to view just a single chapter then click on the link to that specific chapter. Whether you are viewing a section, book, or individual chapter only the footnotes for that part of the text will be displayed at the end of the file.