The Best of Bastiat
The Best of Bastiat (BOB) is a collection of some of the best
material in Liberty Fund's 6 volume edition of The Collected Works of Frédéric
Bastiat (2011-). They are chapter length extracts and have been formatted
as pamphlets for easier distribution. They are also available in epub format.
These extracts should be useful in the classroom, discussion groups, or material
for a literature table for outreach. Each extract begins with a brief bio of
Bastiat and a discussion of why the text is important. Links to the volume
from which the extract came and further reading are provided at the back. The
most important passages in the extract are highlighted as pull quotes. The key
to the numbering is as follows, 2.1 means the first extract from volume 2;
2.2 means the second extract from volume 2:
- The Best of Bastiat #1.1 "A Life in Letters" (1819-1850) <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2478>
- The Best of Bastiat #2.1 “The State” (1848) <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2479>
- The Best of Bastiat #2.2 “Property and Plunder: Fifth Letter” (July 1848) <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2480>
- The Best of Bastiat #2.3 “The Law” (June 1848) <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2481>
- The Best of Bastiat #3.1 “The Petition of the Manufacturers of Candles”
(October 1845) <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2482>
- The Best of Bastiat #3.2 “The Broken Window” (July 1850) <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2483>
- The Best of Bastiat #3.3 “The Utopian” (17 Jan. 1847) <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2484>
The full collection can be found here <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2477>.
They have been taken from The Collected Works of Frédéric Bastiat.
6 Vols. Jacques de Guenin, General Editor. Translated from the French by Jane
Willems and Michel Willems. Annotations and Glossaries by Jacques de Guenin,
Jean-Claude Paul-Dejean, and David M. Hart. Translation Editor Dennis O’Keeffe.
Academic Editor, David M. Hart (Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2011). <http://oll.libertyfund.org/title/2451>