- Volume III: Oath - Zollverein
- Oath of Allegiance
- O'conor, Charles
- Office-holders, Danger of an Aristocracy of
- Olmstead Case. (see Pennsylvania.)
- Omnibus Bill. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Opinion. (see Public Opinion.)
- Order of the Day. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Orders In Council. (see Embargo, In U. S. History.)
- Orders, Religious . (see Congregations.)
- Ordinance of 1787
- Oriental Question
- Ostend Manifesto
- Pacific Railroad. (see Internal Improvements, Railroads.)
- Paper Money.
- Paraguay (republic Of).
- Parasites, Social
- Paris Monetary Conference
- Parliament, the British
- Parliamentary Law.
- Participation In Profits.
- Parties, Political
- Party Government In the United States.
- Party Names In U. S. History. (see American Party, Anti-federal Party, Anti-masonic Party)
- Patent Office
- Patents, and the Patent System.
- Patrons of Husbandry. (see Grangers.)
- Peace Congress. (see Conference, Peace.)
- Pendleton, George H.
- Penitentiary Systems. (see Prisons and Prison Discipline.)
- Penny Banks. (see Banks, History and Management of Savings.)
- Pensions. (see United States Pension Laws, and the Pension Laws of Other Countries.)
- Personal Liberty Laws
- Personal Union
- Petition, Right of
- Philosophy of Law
- Pickering, Timothy
- Pierce, Franklin
- Pinckney, Charles Cotesworth
- Pinckney, Thomas
- Plenty and Dearth.
- Police Power of a State
- Political Arithmetic. (see Arithmetic, Political.)
- Political Assessments. (see Assessments, Political.)
- Political Economy.
- Political Economy, History of
- Political Science
- Politics, Nature and Character of
- Polk, James Knox
- Poll Tax
- Popular Sovereignty
- Postoffice Department
- Postoffice Savings Banks. (see Banks, History and Management of Savings.)
- Powers of Congress. (see Congress, Powers Of.)
- President. (see Executive.)
- President Pro Tem. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Press, the Newspaper and Periodical
- Previous Question. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Primary Elections.
- Priority of Debts Due to the United States and to the States
- Prisoners of War
- Prisons and Prison Discipline
- Private Bills. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Private Calendar. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Privilege. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Prizes, Maritime
- Production of Wealth
- Products On Paper
- Property, Landed . (see Rent.)
- Property, Literary
- Proportional Representation
- Protection. Restrictions Upon Freedom of Exchange
- Protection In the United States.
- Protestantism. (see Churches, Protestant.)
- Public Debts. (see Debts, National, State and Local.)
- Public Lands of the United States
- Public Lands, Office of
- Public Opinion
- Public Policy
- Public Revenues. (see Revenues, Public.)
- Races of Mankind
- Railways, History and Political Economy of
- Railways, Legislation Concerning, and Management Of, In the United States
- Railway Clearing House. (see Clearing, and Clearing Houses.)
- Randolph, John
- Rebellion, the (in U. S. History)
- Refuge, Right of . (see Asylum.)
- Refunding of the Public Debt of the United States
- Removal of Deposits. (see Deposits, Removal Of.)
- Removals From Office
- Representative Democracy. (see Democracy, Representative.)
- Republican Party
- Restrictive System. (see Embargo, In U. S. History.)
- Returning Boards
- Revolution, the
- Rhode Island
- Ricardo, David
- Right of Inheritance. (see Inheritance.)
- Right of Petition. (see Petition, Right Of.)
- Riu Kiu.
- River and Harbor Bills. (see Internal Improvements.)
- Roads. (see Transportation, Means Of.)
- Roads and Canals. (see Internal Improvements.)
- Rohmer's Doctrine of Parties. (see Parties, Political.)
- Roman Catholic Church.
- Rotation In Office. (see Civil Service Reform.)
- Rules. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Rush, Richard
- Saint-simonism. (see Socialism.)
- Salary Grab
- San Domingo
- Sandwich Islands
- Sanitary System
- Savings Banks. (see Banks, History and Management of Savings.)
- Schools. (see Education and the State)
- Schurz, Carl
- Science. (see Social Science.)
- Scott, Winfield
- Search, Right of
- Sedition Laws. (see Alien and Sedition Laws.)
- Seminole War. (see Slavery, II.)
- Sergeant-at-arms. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Sergeant, John
- Servia, Principality of
- Sessions of Congress. (see Congress, Sessions Of.)
- Seward, William H.
- Seymour, Horatio
- Shay's Rebellion. (see Confederation, Articles Of.)
- Sherman, John
- ShimonosÉki Indemnity
- Silver Bill. (see Hayes, R. B.)
- Sinking Fund
- Sintooism. (see Shinto)
- Smith, Adam
- Socialism and Socialists
- Social Contract
- Social Science
- South Carolina
- Southern Confederacy. (see Confederate States.)
- Sovereignty (in U. S. History). (see Popular Sovereignty.)
- Speaker. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Speakers. (see Congress, Sessions Of.)
- Spoils System
- Squatter Sovereignty. (see Popular Sovereignty)
- Stamp Act Congress
- Standing Armies. (see Armies.)
- Standing Orders. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Stanton, Edwin M .
- State, Department of
- State Rights. (see State Sovereignty, II.)
- State Sovereignty
- State, the
- States, Constitutional and Legal Diversities In
- Stephens, Alexander H.
- Stock Exchange Clearing House. (see Clearing, and Clearing Houses.)
- Stock Jobbing. (see Agiotage.)
- Story, Joseph
- Strict Construction. (see Construction.)
- Strikes and Lockouts
- Sub-treasury. (see Independent Treasury.)
- Sumner, Charles
- Sumptuary Laws. (see Laws, Sumptuary.)
- Supply. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Supreme Court. (see Judiciary.)
- Table. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Tammany Hall
- Taney, Roger Brooke
- Tariffs of the United States.
- Tartar, Tartary
- Ta-tsing (great Pure)
- Tauism (tao-ism, To;, Or Doctrine of Lao-tse).
- Taxation, Principles of
- Taxation, National and Local. (see Revenue, Public; Taxation.)
- Taylor, Zachary
- Tellers. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Temperance Movement In the United States. (see Prohibition, Police.)
- Ten-hour Law
- Term and Tenure of Office
- Territorial Waters
- Third Estate
- Tie. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Tilden, Samuel Jones
- Times-spirit, the . (see Zeitgeist.)
- Tompkins, Daniel D.
- Ton-kin. (see Tonquin.)
- Tonquin (tong-king Or Tun-kin).
- Transportation, Means of
- Treasury Department.
- Treaties, Fishery.
- Treaties of the United States
- Trent Affair
- Tungusic Races. (see Tartar.)
- Tyler, John
- Union, the (in U. S. History),
- Union Party. (see Republican Party.)
- United States Notes.
- United States Notes. Legal-tender Cases—decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- United States of America
- United States of Colombia. (see New Grenada.)
- United States Pension Laws and the Pension Laws of Other Countries
- United States Surplus Money
- Universal Suffrage. (see Suffrage.)
- Van Buren, Martin
- Vice-president. (see Executive, V.; Electors, Senate; Administrations.)
- Virginia Resolutions. (see Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions.)
- Wage Fund, the
- "waltham System,"
- War. (see Declaration of War, Belligerents, Exchange of Prisoners.)
- War, the Civil. (see Rebellion, The, In U. S. History.)
- War Department.
- Wars (in U. S. History).
- Washington City. (see Capital, National.)
- Washington, George
- Washington Territory
- Ways and Means. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Webster, Daniel
- Weights and Measures.
- West Virginia
- Wheeler, William A.
- Whig Party
- Whisky Insurrection
- Whisky Ring
- White, Hugh Lawson
- White League. (see Ku-klux Klan.)
- Wilmot Proviso
- Wilson, Henry
- Wirt, William
- Woman Suffrage. (see Suffrage.)
- Wright, Silas
- Wyoming Territory
- X Y Z Mission
- Yazoo Frauds
- Yeas and Nays. (see Parliamentary Law.)
- Lists of Writers
- The Following Is a List of the Subjects Treated By American Writers:
The following is a List of the Subjects treated by American Writers:
ATKINSON, EDWARD—Banks, Functions of.
BOLLES, ALBERT S.—Finance, American.
BOWKER, R. R.—Scratching.
BRYCE, T. T.—Products on Paper.
BURCHARD, H. C.—Coinage; Gold; Silver.
CARY, EDWARD—Education and the State; Gambettism.
CLAMPITT, JOHN W.—Bill; Court Martial; Military Commissions; Law, Common; Law, Criminal; Magna Charta; Police Power of the State.
COLBY, JAMES F.—Privateering; Prizes, Maritime; Suffrage; Territorial Waters.
CONWAY, EUSTACE—Treaties; United States Pension Laws.
COOLEY, THOS. M.—Bar; Corporations, Law of.
COWLEY, C.—Knights of the Order of St. Crispin; National Cemeteries; Ten-Hour Law; "Waitham System."
CROSBY, EDWARD H.—Petition, Right of; Priority of Debts Due to the United States and to the States; Public Policy.
DAVIS, J. C. BANCROFT—Geneve. Arbitration; Treaties of the United States.
EATON, DORMAN B.—Civil Administration; Civil Service Reform; Confirmation by the Senate; Judiciary, Elective; Patronage; Primary Elections; Promotion; Removals from Office; Spoils System; Term and Tenure of Office.
EBERHARDT, MAX.—Aliens; Bundesrath; German Empire.
FISKE, JOHN—Great Britain; House of Commons; House of Lords.
FORD, WORTHINGTON C.—Extradition; Income Tax; Internal Revenue of the United States; License Tax; Navy; Participation in Profits; Poll Tax; Prices; Public Lands of the United States; Refunding of the Public Debt of the United States; Sinking Fund; Tariffs of the United States.
GEORGE, HENRY—Chinese Immigration.
GILMAN, D. C.—Universities.
GODKIN, E. L.—Office-Holders, Danger of an Aristocracy of.
GOODE, G. BROWN—Fisheries; Treaties, Fishery.
GREEN, GEORGE WALTON—Municipal Bonds; Naturalization; Repudiation.
GRIFFIS, WM. E.—China; Corea; Formosa; Japan; Mongols; Mutsuhito; Riu Kin; Shimonoseki Indemnity; Shinto; Siam; Tartar, Tartary; Ta-Tsing; Tauism; Tonquin.
HADLEY, ARTHUR T.—Over-Production; Postoffice; Profits; Reclprocity; Speculation; Subsidies; Transportation, Means of; Weights and Messures.
HAMILTON, JOHN B.—Quarantise.
HOUGH, FRANKLIN B.—Forestry.
ISHAM, EDWARD S.—Corporations, Economic and Social Relations of.
JAMESON, JOHN A.—Convention, The Constitutional.
JAMES, E. J.—Banks of Issue; Customs Duties; Education, Compulsory; Emigration and Immigration; Excise; Factory Laws; Finance, Science of; Insurance; Labor; Political Economy, History of.
JOHNSTON, ALEXANDER—The Articles on the Political History of the United States in the Cyclopædia.
KNOX, JOHN JAY—Banking; United States Notes; United States Notes—Legal Tender Cases—Decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States; United States Surplus Money. Distribution of, among the States.
KOERNER, GUSTAVE—Monroe Doctrine; Outlawry.
LLOYD, H. D.—Clearing, and Clearing Houses.
MASON, ALFRED B.—Proportional Representation.
MASON, DAVID H.—Protection in the United States.
NORTH, S. N. D.—Press, The Newspaper and Periodical.
PORTER, ROBERT P.—Debts, National, State and Local.
PUTNAM, GEO. HAVEN—Property, Literary.
RAYMOND, R. W.—Mines.
SANBORN, F. B.—Pauperism.
SMITH, EDMUND MUNROE—Nationality, Law of.
SMITH, HAYDN—Exchange, An; Fund, Funding, Refunding.
SPOFFORD, A. R.—Academies; Ballot; Budget; Congress of the United States; Education, Bureau of; Homestead and Exemption Laws; Interior, Department of the; Justice, Department of; Library of Congress; Lobby; Navy, Department of the; Parliament, The British; Parliamentary Law; Patent Office; Postoffice Department; Public Lands, Office of; States, Legal and Constitutional Diversities of; Treasury Department; War Department.
STERNE, SIMON—Cities, Administration of American; Legislation; Monopolies; Railways; Representation.
TOWNSEND, JOHN P.—Banks, History and Management of Savings.
WALKER, FRANCIS A.—Public Revenue; Wage Fund; Wages.
WEEKS, JOS. D.—Conseils Des Prud'hommes; Industrial Arbitration; Strikes and Lockouts.
WELLS, DAVID A.—American Merchant Marine; Distilled Spirits; Extradition; Fair Trade; Free Trade; Navigation Laws of the United States; Taxation; United States Pension Laws and Pension Laws of other Countries.
WHITE, HORACE—Commercial Crises; Money and its Substitutes; Paris Monetary Conference.
WHITRIDGE, FREDERICK W.—Assessments, Political; Canens System; Instructions; Jury, Trial by; Patents, and the Patent System.
WILLIAMS, TALGOTT—Apportionment; Party Government in the United States; Tammany Hall; Turkey.
WINES, FRED. H.—Prison and Prison Discipline.
WITTON, H. B.—Dominion of Canada.
WOOLSEY, THEODORE S.—Blockade.