Front Page Titles (by Subject) BIBLIOGRAPHY - The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates
BIBLIOGRAPHY - John Milton, The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates 
The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates, edited with Introduction and Notes by William Talbot Allison (New York: Henry Holt and Co., 1911).
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
The text is in the public domain.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
Editions of The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates.
1. The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates: Proving, That it is Lawfull, and hath been held so through all Ages, for any who have the Power, to call to account a Tyrant, or wicked KING, and after due conviction, to depose and put him to death; if the ordinary MAGISTRATE have neglected, or deny’d to doe it. And that they who, of late, so much blame Deposing, are the Men that did it themselves. The Author, J. M. London, Printed by Matthew Simons, at the Gilded Lyon in Aldersgate Street, 1649.
2. The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates proving, That it is Lawfull and hath been held so through all Ages, for any who have the Power to call to account a Tyrant, or wicked KING, and after due Conviction, to depose, and put him to Death; if the ordinary MAGISTRATE have neglected, or deny’d to doe it. And that they, who, of late, so much blame Deposing, are the Men that did it themselves. Published now the second Time with some additions, and many Testimonies also added out of the best and learnedest among PROTESTANT Divines asserting the position of this book. The Author J. M. LONDON, Printed by Matthew Simmons, next doore to the Gil-Lyon in Aldersgate Street, 1650.
[Some copies of this edition have the following variation in the title,—‘Printed by Matthew Simmons, at the Gilded Lyon in Aldersgate Street, 1649].
3. The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates. Originally written by the Celebrated John Milton. Now corrected, and republished with Additional Notes and Observations; and particularly recommended, at This Time, to the Perusal of the Men of Ireland. Dublin 1784.
[This reprint, on cheap paper, was issued in the form of a 16mo tract, with a short introduction by the anonymous editor. He makes a plea for the sovereignty of the people, and quotes as authorities Strabo, Tacitus, Hotman, Hoadley, Burnet, Locke, Hutcheson, and ‘the Author of the North Britain.’ The notes are few and of no value].
4. The Rights of Nations to depose Their Kings, an Abridgement of The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates. Ed. William G. Lewis. London, circa 1800.
5. The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates, appended to Milton’s History of Britain. Ed. Francis Maseres. London 1818.
[A reprint of Birch’s version of 1753].
- Prose Works of John Milton. Amsterdam, 1694.
- The Works of Mr. John Milton. [No Place] 1697.
- Complete Historical, Political, and Miscellaneous Works. 3 vols. [Ed. John Toland]. 1698.
- A Complete Collection of Historical, Political, and Miscellaneous Works of John Milton. Ed. T. Birch. 2 vols. London, 1738.
- The Works of John Milton, Historical, Political, and Miscellaneous. Ed. T. Birch [and R. Barron]. London, 1753.
- [In a quarto edition of this publication, which appeared the same year, Birch (or Barron) observes that in 1650 The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates was republished by the author with considerable additions, ‘all which, omitted in every former edition of the author’s works, are here carefully inserted in their proper place.’ This boast is not justified, for the edition of 1697 included the additions].
- The Prose Works of John Milton. Ed. C. Symmons. 7 vols. London, 1806.
- The Prose Works of John Milton. With an Introductory Review by R. Fletcher. London, 1833.
- The Prose Works of John Milton. Ed. J. A. St. John. 5 vols. London, 1848-53.
- [The well-known Bohn edition, the most convenient and, on the whole, the best edition of Milton’s prose ever published].
- Prose and Poetical Works of Milton. Ed. J. Mitford. 7 vols. London, 1851.
- Selections from the Works of Taylor, Hooker, Milton, etc. London, 1807.
- The Poetry of Milton’s Prose, selected from his Various Writings, with Notes, and an Introductory Essay, [by C.]. London, 1827.
- The Beauties of Milton, consisting of Selections from his Poetry and Prose by A. Howard. London .
- Select Prose Works. Ed. J. A. St. John. 2 vols. London, 1836.
- Extracts from Milton’s Prose Works. Edinburgh, 1836.
- Prose Works of John Milton. Ed. R. W. Griswold. New York, 1847.
- Selections from the Prose Writings of John Milton. Ed. S. Manning. London, 1861.
- Treasures from the Prose Writings of John Milton. Ed. Fayette Hurd. Boston, 1866.
- Selections from the Prose Works of John Milton. Ed. J. J. G. Graham. London, 1870.
- John Milton’s Politische Hauptschriften. Uebersetzt von Dr. W. Bernhardi. Berlin, 1870-79.
- Selected Prose Writings of John Milton, with an Introductory Essay by E. Myers. London, 1884.
- Readings from Milton, with an Introduction by Bishop H. W. Warren. Boston, 1886.
- English Prose Writings of Milton. Ed. H. Morley. London, 1889.
- The Prose of Milton, selected and edited, with an Introduction by R. Garnett. London, 1892.
- Selections, chiefly Autobiographical, from the Pamphlets and Letters of Milton, with the Tractate on Education and Areopagitica. New York, 1901.
- Prose Works of Milton. Vol. 1. London, 1905.
- Introduction to Prose and Poetical Works of Milton. Ed. H. Corson. London, 1899.
Biography, Criticism, etc. bearing on Milton’s Prose.
- Aubrey, John. Collections for Life of Milton, appended to Lives of Edward and John Philips. Ed. Wm. Godwin. London, 1815.
- Blackburne, Francis. Remarks on Johnson’s Life of Milton. London, 1790.
- Chateaubriand, M. de. Essai sur la Littérature Anglaise. Paris 1836.
- Fry, Alfred. Lecture on the Writings, Prose and Poetic, and the Character, Public and Personal, of John Milton. London, 1838.
- Geffroy, A. Etude sur les Pamphlets Politiques et Religieux de Milton. Paris 1848.
- Guerle, Edmond de. Milton: Sa Vie et Ses Oeuvres. Paris, 1868.
- Hill, G. F. Prize Essay on Prose Style of Milton. London, 1885.
- Horwood, A. J. Milton’s Commonplace Book. Camden Soc. Pub. London, 1876. Revised edition, Westminster, 1877.
- Ivimey, Jos. Life and Times of Milton. New York, 1833.
- Jenks, T. In the Days of Milton. London, 1905.
- Johnson, Dr. Samuel. Life of Milton. London, 1787.
- Keightley, Thos. Life, Opinions, and Writings of John Milton. London, 1855.
- Lowell, J. R. Among My Books. Second Series. London, 1876.
- Mackenzie, Sir Geo. Jus Regium. Against Buchanan, Dolman, Milton, etc. Edinburgh, 1684.
- Masson, David. Life of John Milton, narrated in Connection with the Political, Ecclesiastical, and Literary History of His Time. 6 vols. London and New York, 1859-80.
- Mead, L. A. Milton’s England. London, 1903.
- Milton Memorial Lectures, 1908. Read before the Royal Society of Literature. Ed. P. W. Ames. London, 1909.
- Mirabeau, Count de. Théorie de la Royauté d’après la Doctrine de Milton. Paris, 1789.
- Morgan, J. de. Milton considered as a Politician. London, 1875.
- Mortimer, C. E. An Historical Memoir of the Political Life of John Milton. London, 1805.
- Of the Monarchy of Scotland against Milton. London, 1684.
- On Milton as Liable to Just Censure. London, 1709.
- Pattison, Mark. Milton, an Account of His Life and Works. London, 1879.
- Peck, Francis. Memoirs of Life and Poetical Works of John Milton, with an Examination of Milton’s Style, etc. London, 1740.
- Raleigh, W. A. Life of Milton. London, 1900.
- Seeley, J. R. Lectures and Addresses. London, 1870.
- Scharf, Ludwig. John Milton and Jean Jacques Rousseau. Braunschweig, 1882.
- Schmidt, Henricus. Milton considered as a Political Writer. Halle, 1882.
- Smith, Goldwin. Lectures and Essays. New York, 1881.
- Stern, Alfred. Milton und seine Zeit. 2 Teile. Leipzig, 1877-79.
- Toland, J. The Life of Milton, containing, besides the History of His Works, Several Extraordinary Characters of Men, Books, Sects, Parties, and Opinions. London, 1699.
- Trent, W. J. John Milton, Life and Works. New York, 1899.
- Tulloch, John. English Puritanism and Its Leaders. Edinburgh, 1861.
- Weber, Georg. John Milton’s Prosaische Schriften über Kirche, Staat und öffentliches Leben seiner Zeit. Ein historisches Taschenbuch. Leipzig, 1852-53.
- White, Holt. Milton’s Areopagitica and Review of Johnson’s Criticism of the Style of Milton’s English Prose. London, 1816.
- Windsor, A. L. Milton, His Politics, Prose Writings, and Biographers. In Ethica. London, 1860.
- Vodoz, Jules. An Essay on the Prose of Milton. Zürich, 1895.
A List of the More Important Works consulted in the Preparation of the Present Edition of The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates.
- Acton, Lord. History of Freedom and Other Essays. London, 1907.
- Armstrong, E. The French Wars of Religion; Their Political Aspects. London, 1892.
- — — The Political Theory of the Huguenots. In English Hist. Rev. Vol. 4. London, 1889.
- Baillie, Robt. Letters and Journals. 2 vols. Edinburgh, 1775.
- Barclay, Robt. Inner Life of the Religious Societies of the Commonwealth. London, 1876.
- Baudrillart, Henri. Jean Bodin et Son Temps. Paris, 1853.
- Blackey, Robt. History of Political Literature. 2 vols. London, 1855.
- Bluntschli, J. K. Theory of the State. Oxford, 1885.
- Bodin, Jean. Les Six Livres de la République. Lyons, 1580.
- — — De Republica. Paris, 1586.
- — — The Six Bookes of a Commonweale. Trans. Rich. Knolles. London, 1606.
- Brown, Hume. Life of George Buchanan. Edinburgh, 1890.
- Bucer, Martin. Sacra Quatuor Euangelia. 1553.
- Buchanan, George. De Jure Regni apud Scotos. Edinburgh, 1579.
- — — Trans. R. Macfarlan. London, 1799.
- — — History of Scotland. Trans. Watkins. London, 1827.
- Burnet, Gilbert. History of Own Times. 2 vols. London, 1724-34.
- Calvin, John. Prælectiones in Librum Prophetiarum Danielis. Amsterdam, 1667.
- — — Institutes of the Christian Religion. 2 vols. London, 1838.
- Carlyle, Thos. Letters and Speeches of Cromwell. 4 vols. London, 1904.
- Cary, Thos. Memorials of the Great Civil War in England. London, 1842.
- Clarendon, Edward, Earl of. History of the Rebellion. 6 vols. Oxford, 1888.
- Clergy in Their Colours, or the Pride and Avarice of the Presbyterian Clergy hindering Reformation. London, 1651.
- Dunning, W. A. A History of Political Theories, Ancient and Mediaeval. New York and London, 1905.
- — — Political Theories from Luther to Montesquieu. New York and London, 1905.
- Edwards, Thos. Gangræna. London, 1646.
- Egger, Edward. Sur le Meurtre Politique chez les Grecs et chez les Romans. Turin, 1866.
- Fenner, Dudley. Sacra Theologia. Vignon, 1586.
- Ferne, Dr. H. Conscience Satisfied. Oxford, 1643.
- Figgis, J. N. Theory of the Divine Right of Kings. Cambridge, 1896.
- — — Studies of Political Thought from Gerson to Grotius. Cambridge, 1907.
- — — Some Political Theories of the Early Jesuits. In Trans. Royal Hist. Soc. Vol. 11. London, 1897.
- — — Politics at the Council of Constance. In Trans. Royal Hist. Soc. Vol. 13. London, 1899.
- Filmer, Sir Robt. Observations Concerning the Original of Government. London, 1680.
- — — Patriarcha, or the Natural Power of Kings. London, 1680.
- Fortescue, Sir John. His Life, Works, and Family History. Ed. Lord Claremont. London, 1869.
- Gardiner, S. R. Constitutional Documents of the Puritan Revolution. Oxford, 1899.
- — — History of England, 1603-1642. 10 vols. London, 1884.
- — — History of the Great Civil War. 1642-1649. 3 vols. London, 1886-91.
- — — History of the Commonwealth and Protectorate. 3 vols. London, 1894-1901.
- Gauden, Dr. John. Certain Scruples and Doubts of Conscience about Taking the Solemn League and Covenant. London, 1643.
- Gerard, Seigneur du Haillan. Histoire Générale des Rois de France. Paris, 1576.
- Gilby, Anthony. An Admonition to England and Scotland to call Them to Repentance. Geneva, 1558.
- Gildas. Chronicle. Trans. J. A. Giles. London, 1848.
- Gilles, Peter. Histoire Ecclesiastique des Eglises Vaudoises, 1160-1643. Pignerol, 1881.
- Gooch, G.P. History of Democratic Ideas in the Seventeenth Century. Cambridge, 1898.
- Goodman, Christopher. How Superior Powers ought to be obeyd of Their Subjects. Geneva, 1558.
- Hallam, Henry. Introduction to the Literature of Europe. 3 vols. London, 1839.
- Halley, Robt. Lancashire and Its Puritanism. London, 1869.
- Hammond, Henry. On Resisting the Lawfull Magistrate upon Colour of Religion. London, 1643.
- Harleian Miscellany. Ed. T. Park. London, 1808.
- Heylyn, Peter. Aerius Redivivus, or the History of the Presbyterians from 1536 to 1647. Oxford, 1670.
- Hotman, Francis. Franco Gallia. Trans. Molesworth. London, 1721.
- Irving, D. Life of George Buchanan. Edinburgh, 1817.
- Janet, Paul. Histoire de la Science Politique dans Ses Relations avec la Morale. 2 toms. Paris, 1887.
- Jovial Tinker of England, The. London, 1648.
- Knox, John. Works. Ed. Laing. 6 vols. Edinburgh, 1848.
- Languet, Hubert, or Du Plessis-Mornay. Vindiciæ contra Tyrannos. ‘Edinhurgh’ [Geneva], 1579.
- English Trans. London, 1648.
- Maitland, F. W. Political Theories of the Middle Ages. London, 1900.
- Marsden, John. History of the Early Puritans. London, 1853.
- — — History of the Later Puritans. London, 1852.
- Mariana, Juan de. De Rege et Regis Institutione. Toledo, 1599.
- Marsiglio of Padua. Defensor Pacis. Frankfort, 1612.
- McCrie, Thos. Life of John Knox. Edinburgh, 1839.
- Molina, Louis. De Jure et Justitia. 2 vols. Mainz, 1602.
- Neal, Daniel. History of the Puritans. 3 vols. New York, 1844.
- Nicolaus Cusanus. Opera. Basil, 1565.
- Orme, Wm. Life and Times of Rich. Baxter. 2 vols. Boston, 1831.
- Osgood, H. L. The Political Ideas of the Puritans. In Pol. Science Quart. Vol. 6. 1891.
- Owen, David. Herod and Pilate reconciled, or the Concord of Papist and Puritan for the Coercion, Deposition, and Killing of Kings. Cambridge, 1610.
- Oxenham, N.N. Short Studies, Ethical and Religious. London, 1885.
- Pagitt, Ephraim, Heresiography, or a Description of the Hereticks and Sectaries of These Latter Times. London, 1651.
- Pareus, David. Opera Theologica. 2 vols. Geneva, 1642.
- Paris, Matthew. Chronica Majora, Trans. J.A. Giles. London. 1848.
- Poole, R.L. Illustrations of the History of Mediæval Thought. London, 1884.
- Plass, H. G. Die Tyrannis. 2 vols. London, 1884.
- Political Catechism, A. Printed by Order of the House of Commons. London, 1643.
- Political Thought in the Sixteenth Century. In Cambridge Modern History. Vol. 3. Cambridge, 1904.
- Poynet, John. A Shorte Treatise of Political Power, and of the True Obedience which Subjectes owe to Kynges. London, 1556.
- Price, John. Clerico-Classicum, or the Clergi-allarum to a Third War. London, 1556.
- Prynn against Prynn. London, 1649.
- Prynne, W. and Walker, C. Declaration and Protestation. London, 1649.
- Rushworth, John. Historical Collections. 9. vols. London, 1722.
- Seyssel, C. La Grand’ Monarchie de France. Paris, 1519.
- Shaw, W. A. History of the English Church, 1640-1660. London, 1900.
- Sleidan, John. History of the Reformation. Trans. Bohun. London, 1689.
- Smith, Sir Thos. De Republica Anglorum, or the English Common Wealth. London, 1583.
- Somers Tracts. 4 vols. London, 1748.
- Thomas Aquinas. Opera. Paris, 1871-1880.
- Thomason, George. Catalogue of the Pamphlets, Books, Newspapers, and Manuscripts relating to the Civil War, the Commonwealth and Restoration, 1640-1661. Printed for the British Museum, 1908.
- Thuanus (J. A. de Thou). Histoire Universelle, 1543-1607. 16 vols. London, 1734.
- Tilley, A. A. The Literature of the French Renaissance. 2 vols. Cambridge, 1904.
- — — Some Pamphlets of the French Wars of Religion. In English Hist. Rev. London, 1899.
- Treumann, R. M. Die Monarchomachen. Leipzig, 1895.
- Ure, Percy. The Origin of the Tyrannis. In Journal Hellenic Literature, Vol. 26.
- Vermigli, Peter Martyr. In Librum Judicum Commentarii. Heidelbergae, 1509.
- Walker, Clement. A History of Independency. 3 parts. London, 1648-51.
- Walkeman, H. O. The Church and the Puritans. London, 1892.
- Weill, Georges. Les Théories sur le Pouvoir Royal en France pendant les Guerres de Religion. Paris, 1891.
- Wendover, Roger de. Flower of History. Trans. J. A. Giles. London, 1848.
- Whitelocke, Bulstrode. Memorials of English Affairs. 4 vols. Oxford, 1853.
- Wycliffe, John. De Civili Dominio. Ed. Poole. London, 1885.
- Zwingli, Ulrich von. Opera. Ed. Schulerus et Schulthessius. Turin, 1829.
Contemporary Pamphlets referred to or criticised by Milton in The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates.
- Gauden, Dr. John. Religious and Loyal Protestation against the Declared Purposes and Proceedings of the Army and Others; about the Trying and Destroying Our Sovereign Lord the King. London, 1648.
- Hammond, Dr. Henry. Humble Addresse to the Right Honourable, the Lord Fairfax, and His Councell of Warre. London, 1649.
- Prynne, Wm. A Briefe Memento to the Present Unparliamentary Junto. London, 1649.
- — — Prynne the Member, reconciled to Prynne, the Barrister. London, 1648.
- — — Speech in the House of Commons, Dec. 4, 1648. London, 1649.
- Serious and Faithfull Representation of the Judgments of the Gospel within the Province of London. London, 1649.
- Scripture and Reason pleaded for Defensive Armes; or the Whole Controversie about Subjects taking up Armes. Published by Divers Reverend and Learned Divines. London, 1643.
- Testimony to the Truth of Jesus Christ, and to Our Solemn League and Covenant; as also against the Errours, Heresies, and Blasphemies, of These Times. London, 1648.
- Vindication of the Ministers of the Gospel in, and about London, from the Unjust Aspersions cast upon Their Former Actings for the Parliament. London, 1648.