Front Page Titles (by Subject) BOOK I. - The Parallel Bible. Old Testament (Revised Version)
BOOK I. - The Parallel Bible. Old Testament (Revised Version) 
The Parallel Bible. The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments translated out of the Original Tongues: being the Authorised Version arranged in parallel columns with the Revised Version (Oxford University Press, 1885).
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
The text is in the public domain.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
1Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked,
- Nor standeth in the way of sinners,
- Nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord;
- And in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water,
- That bringeth forth its fruit in its season,
- Whose leaf also doth not wither;
- And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
4 The wicked are not so;
- But are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
5 Therefore the wicked shall not stand in the judgement,
- Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous:
- But the way of the wicked shall perish.
- Why do the nations rage,
- And the peoples imagine a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves,
- And the rulers take counsel together,
- Against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying,
3 Let us break their bands asunder,
- And cast away their cords from us.
4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:
- The Lord shall have them in derision.
5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath,
- And vex them in his sore displeasure:
6 Yet I have set my king
- Upon my holy hill of Zion.
7 I will tell of the decree:
- The Lord said unto me, Thou art my son;
- This day have I begotten thee.
8 Ask of me, and I will give thee the nations for thine inheritance,
- And the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron;
- Thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.
10 Now therefore be wise, O ye kings:
- Be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear,
- And rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the son, lest he be angry, and ye perish in the way,
- For his wrath will soon be kindled.
- Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.
A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
1Lord, how are mine adversaries increased!
- Many are they that rise up against me.
2 Many there be which say of my soul,
- There is no help for him in God. [Selah
3 But thou, O Lord, art a shield about me;
- My glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4 I cry unto the Lord with my voice,
- And he answereth me out of his holy hill. [Selah
5 I laid me down and slept;
- I awaked; for the Lord sustaineth me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of the people,
- That have set themselves against me round about.
7 Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God:
- For thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone;
- Thou hast broken the teeth of the wicked.
8 Salvation belongeth unto the Lord:
- Thy blessing be upon thy people. [Selah
For the Chief Musician; on stringed instruments A Psalm of David.
1 Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness;
- Thou hast set me at large when I was in distress:
- Have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
2 O ye sons of men, how long shall my glory be turned into dishonour?
- How long will ye love vanity, and seek after falsehood? [Selah
3 But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself:
- The Lord will hear when I call unto him.
4 Stand in awe, and sin not:
- Commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. [Selah
5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
- And put your trust in the Lord.
6 Many there be that say, Who will shew us any good?
- Lord, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.
7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart,
- More than they have when their corn and their wine are increased.
8 In peace will I both lay me down and sleep:
- For thou, Lord, alone makest me dwell in safety.
For the Chief Musician; with the Nehiloth, A Psalm of David.
1 Give ear to my words, O Lord,
- Consider my meditation.
2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God:
- For unto thee do I pray.
3 O Lord, in the morning shalt thou hear my voice;
- In the morning will I order my prayer unto thee, and will keep watch.
4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness:
- Evil shall not sojourn with thee.
5 The arrogant shall not stand in thy sight:
- Thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak lies:
- The Lord abhorreth the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
7 But as for me, in the multitude of thy lovingkindness will I come into thy house:
- In thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
8 Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies;
- Make thy way plain before my face.
9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth;
- Their inward part is very wickedness:
- Their throat is an open sepulchre;
- They flatter with their tongue.
10 Hold them guilty, O God;
- Let them fall by their own counsels:
- Thrust them out in the multitude of their transgressions;
- For they have rebelled against thee.
11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice,
- Let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them:
- Let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.
12 For thou wilt bless the righteous;
- O Lord, thou wilt compass him with favour as with a shield.
For the Chief Musician; on stringed instruments, set to the Sheminith. A Psalm of David.
1 O Lord, rebuke me not in thine anger,
- Neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
2 Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am withered away:
- O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
3 My soul also is sore vexed:
- And thou, O Lord, how long?
4 Return, O Lord, deliver my soul:
- Save me for thy lovingkindness’ sake.
5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee:
- In Sheol who shall give thee thanks?
6 I am weary with my groaning;
- Every night make I my bed to swim;
- I water my couch with my tears.
7 Mine eye wasteth away because of grief;
- It waxeth old because of all mine adversaries.
8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity;
- For the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping.
9 The Lord hath heard my supplication;
- The Lord will receive my prayer.
10 All mine enemies shall be ashamed and sore vexed:
- They shall turn back, they shall be ashamed suddenly.
Shiggaion of David, which he sang unto the Lord, concerning the words of Cush a Benjamite.
1 O Lord my God, in thee do I put my trust:
- Save me from all them that pursue me, and deliver me:
2 Lest he tear my soul like a lion,
- Rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver.
3 O Lord my God, if I have done this;
- If there be iniquity in my hands;
4 If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me;
- (Yea, I have delivered him that without cause was mine adversary:)
5 Let the enemy pursue my soul, and overtake it;
- Yea, let him tread my life down to the earth,
- And lay my glory in the dust. [Selah
6 Arise, O Lord, in thine anger,
- Lift up thyself against the rage of mine adversaries:
- And awake for me; thou hast commanded judgement.
7 And let the congregation of the peoples compass thee about:
- And over them return thou on high.
8 The Lord ministereth judgement to the peoples:
- Judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, and to mine integrity that is in me.
9 Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish thou the righteous:
- For the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins.
10 My shield is with God,
- Which saveth the upright in heart.
11 God is a righteous judge,
- Yea, a God that hath indignation every day.
12 If a man turn not, he will whet his sword;
- He hath bent his bow, and made it ready.
13 He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death;
- He maketh his arrows fiery shatfs.
14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity;
- Yea, he hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood.
15 He hath made a pit, and digged it,
- And is fallen into the ditch which he made.
16 His mischief shall return upon his own head,
- And his violence shall come down upon his own pate.
17 I will give thanks unto the Lord according to his righteousness:
- And will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.
For the Chief Musician; set to the Gittith A Psalm of David.
1 O Lord, our Lord,
- How excellent is thy name in all the earth!
- Who hast set thy glory upon the heavens.
2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou established strength,
- Because of thine adversaries,
- That thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers,
- The moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him?
- And the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5 For thou hast made him but little lower than God,
- And crownest him with glory and honour.
6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands;
- Thou hast put all things under his feet:
7 All sheep and oxen,
- Yea, and the beasts of the field;
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea,
- Whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
9 O Lord, our Lord,
- How excellent is thy name in all the earth!
For the Chief Musician; set to Muth-labben. A Psalm of David.
1 I will give thanks unto the Lord with my whole heart;
- I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.
2 I will be glad and exult in thee:
- I will sing praise to thy name, O thou Most High.
3 When mine enemies turn back,
- They stumble and perish at thy presence.
4 For thou hast maintained my right and my cause;
- Thou satest in the throne judging righteously.
5 Thou hast rebuked the nations, thou hast destroyed the wicked,
- Thou hast blotted out their name for ever and ever.
6 The enemy are come to an end, they are desolate for ever;
- And the cities which thou hast overthrown,
- Their very memorial is perished.
7 But the Lord sitteth as king for ever:
- He hath prepared his throne for judgement.
8 And he shall judge the world in righteousness,
- He shall minister judgement to the peoples in uprightness.
9 The Lord also will be a high tower for the oppressed,
- A high tower in times of trouble;
10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee;
- For thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
11 Sing praises to the Lord, which dwelleth in Zion:
- Declare among the people his doings.
12 For he that maketh inquisition for blood remembereth them:
- He forgetteth not the cry of the poor.
13 Have mercy upon me, O Lord;
- Behold my affliction which I suffer of them that hate me,
- Thou that liftest me up from the gates of death;
14 That I may shew forth all thy praise:
- In the gates of the daughter of Zion,
- I will rejoice in thy salvation.
15 The nations are sunk down in the pit that they made:
- In the net which they hid is their own foot taken.
16 The Lord hath made himself known, he hath executed judgement:
- The wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. [Higgaion. Selah
17 The wicked shall return to Sheol,
- Even all the nations that forget God.
18 For the needy shall not alway be forgotten,
- Nor the expectation of the poor perish for ever.
19 Arise, O Lord; let not man prevail:
- Let the nations be judged in thy sight.
20 Put them in fear, O Lord:
- Let the nations know themselves to be but men. [Selah
1 Why standest thou afar off, O Lord?
- Why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?
2 In the pride of the wicked the poor is hotly pursued;
- Let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.
3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart’s desire,
- And the covetous renounceth, yea, contemneth the Lord.
4 The wicked, in the pride of his countenance, saith, He will not require it.
- All his thoughts are, There is no God.
5 His ways are firm at all times;
- Thy judgements are far above out of his sight:
- As for all his adversaries, he puffeth at them.
6 He saith in his heart, I shall not be moved:
- To all generations I shall not be in adversity.
7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression:
- Under his tongue is mischief and iniquity.
8 He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages:
- In the covert places doth he murder the innocent.
- His eyes are privily set against the helpless.
9 He lurketh in the covert as a lion in his den:
- He lieth in wait to catch the poor:
- He doth catch the poor, when he draweth him in his net.
10 He croucheth, he boweth down,
- And the helpless fall by his strong ones.
11 He saith in his heart, God hath forgotten:
- He hideth his face; he will never see it.
12 Arise, O Lord; O God, lift up thine hand:
- Forget not the poor.
13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God,
- And say in his heart, Thou wilt not require it?
14 Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to take it into thy hand:
- The helpless committeth himself unto thee;
- Thou hast been the helper of the fatherless.
15 Break thou the arm of the wicked;
- And as for the evil man, seek out his wickedness till thou find none.
16 The Lord is King for ever and ever:
- The nations are perished out of his land.
17Lord, thou hast heard the desire of the meek:
- Thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:
18 To judge the fatherless and the oppressed,
- That man which is of the earth may be terrible no more.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 In the Lord put I my trust:
- How say ye to my soul,
- Flee as a bird to your mountain?
2 For, lo, the wicked bend the bow,
- They make ready their arrow upon the string,
- That they may shoot in darkness at the upright in heart.
3 If the foundations be destroyed,
- What can the righteous do?
4 The Lord is in his holy temple,
- The Lord, his throne is in heaven;
- His eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.
5 The Lord trieth the righteous:
- But the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares;
- Fire and brimstone and burning wind shall be the portion of their cup.
7 For the Lord is righteous; he loveth righteousness:
- The upright shall behold his face.
For the Chief Musician; set to the Sheminith. A Psalm of David.
1 Help, Lord; for the godly man ceaseth;
- For the faithful fail from among the children of men.
2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour:
- With flattering lip, and with a double heart, do they speak.
3 The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips,
- The tongue that speaketh great things:
4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail;
- Our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
5 For the spoiling of the poor, for the sighing of the needy,
- Now will I arise, saith the Lord;
- I will set him in safety at whom they puff.
6 The words of the Lord are pure words;
- As silver tried in a furnace on the earth,
- Purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O Lord,
- Thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
8 The wicked walk on every side,
- When vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 How long, O Lord, wilt thou forget me for ever?
- How long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
- Having sorrow in my heart all the day?
- How long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God:
- Lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
4 Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him;
- Lest mine adversaries rejoice when I am moved.
5 But I have trusted in thy mercy;
- My heart shall rejoice in thy salvation:
6 I will sing unto the Lord,
- Because he hath dealt bountifully with me.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
- They are corrupt, they have done abominable works;
- There is none that doeth good.
2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men,
- To see if there were any that did understand,
- That did seek after God.
3 They are all gone aside; they are together become filthy;
- There is none that doeth good, no, not one.
4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge?
- Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
- And call not upon the Lord.
5 There were they in great fear:
- For God is in the generation of the righteous.
6 Ye put to shame the counsel of the poor,
- Because the Lord is his refuge.
7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion!
- When the Lord bringeth back the captivity of his people,
- Then shall Jacob rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.
A Psalm of David.
1Lord, who shall sojourn in thy tabernacle?
- Who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness,
- And speaketh truth in his heart.
3 He that slandereth not with his tongue,
- Nor doeth evil to his friend,
- Nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a reprobate is despised;
- But he honoureth them that fear the Lord.
- He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
5 He that putteth not out his money to usury,
- Nor taketh reward against the innocent.
- He that doeth these things shall never be moved.
Michtam of David
1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
2 I have said unto the Lord, Thou art my Lord:
- I have no good beyond thee.
3 As for the saints that are in the earth,
- They are the excellent in whom is all my delight.
4 Their sorrows shall be multiplied that exchange the Lord for another god:
- Their drink offerings of blood will I not offer,
- Nor take their names upon my lips.
5 The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup:
- Thou maintainest my lot.
6 The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places;
- Yea, I have a goodly heritage.
7 I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel:
- Yea, my reins instruct me in the night seasons.
8 I have set the Lord always before me:
- Because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth:
- My flesh also shall dwell in safety.
10 For thou wilt not leave my soul to Sheol;
- Neither wilt thou suffer thine holy one to see corruption.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
- In thy presence is fulness of joy;
- In thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
A Prayer of David.
1 Hear the right, O Lord, attend unto my cry;
- Give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.
2 Let my sentence come forth from thy presence;
- Let thine eyes look upon equity.
3 Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night;
- Thou hast tried me, and findest nothing;
- I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
4 As for the works of men, by the word of thy lips
- I have kept me from the ways of the violent.
5 My steps have held fast to thy paths,
- My feet have not slipped.
6 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt answer me, O God:
- Incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.
7 Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest them which put their trust in thee
- From those that rise up against them, by thy right hand.
8 Keep me as the apple of the eye,
- Hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
9 From the wicked that spoil me,
- My deadly enemies, that compass me about.
10 They are inclosed in their own fat:
- With their mouth they speak proudly.
11 They have now compassed us in our steps:
- They set their eyes to cast us down to the earth.
12 He is like a lion that is greedy of his prey,
- And as it were a young lion lurking in secret places.
13 Arise, O Lord,
- Confront him, cast him down:
- Deliver my soul from the wicked by thy sword;
14 From men, by thy hand, O Lord,
- From men of the world, whose portion is in this life,
- And whose belly thou fillest with thy treasure:
- They are satisfied with children,
- And leave the rest of their substance to their babes.
15 As for me, I shall behold thy face in righteousness:
- I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.
1 For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David the servant of the Lord, who spake unto the Lord the words of this song in the day that the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul: and he said,
1 I love thee, O Lord, my strength.
2 The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
- My God, my strong rock, in him will I trust;
- My shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower.
3 I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised:
- So shall I be saved from mine enemies.
4 The cords of death compassed me,
- And the floods of ungodliness made me afraid.
5 The cords of Sheol were round about me:
- The snares of death came upon me.
6 In my distress I called upon the Lord,
- And cried unto my God:
- He heard my voice out of his temple,
- And my cry before him came into his ears.
7 Then the earth shook and trembled,
- The foundations also of the mountains moved
- And were shaken, because he was wroth.
8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils,
- And fire out of his mouth devoured:
- Coals were kindled by it.
9 He bowed the heavens also, and came down;
- And thick darkness was under his feet.
10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly:
- Yea, he flew swiftly upon the wings of the wind.
11 He made darkness his hiding place, his pavilion round about him;
- Darkness of waters, thick clouds of the skies.
12 At the brightness before him his thick clouds passed,
- Hailstones and coals of fire.
13 The Lord also thundered in the heavens,
- And the Most High uttered his voice;
- Hailstones and coals of fire.
14 And he sent out his arrows, and scattered them;
- Yea, lightnings manifold, and discomfited them.
15 Then the channels of waters appeared,
- And the foundations of the world were laid bare,
- At thy rebuke, O Lord,
- At the blast of the breath of thy nostrils.
16 He sent from on high, he took me;
- He drew me out of many waters.
17 He delivered me from my strong enemy,
- And from them that hated me, for they were too mighty for me.
18 They came upon me in the day of my calamity:
- But the Lord was my stay.
19 He brought me forth also into a large place;
- He delivered me, because he delighted in me.
20 The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness;
- According to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.
21 For I have kept the ways of the Lord,
- And have not wickedly departed from my God.
22 For all his judgements were before me,
- And I put not away his statutes from me.
23 I was also perfect with him,
- And I kept myself from mine iniquity.
24 Therefore hath the Lord recompensed me according to my righteousness,
- According to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight.
25 With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful;
- With the perfect man thou wilt shew thyself perfect;
26 With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure;
- And with the perverse thou wilt shew thyself froward.
27 For thou wilt save the afflicted people;
- But the haughty eyes thou wilt bring down.
28 For thou wilt light my lamp:
- The Lord my God will lighten my darkness.
29 For by thee I run upon a troop;
- And by my God do I leap over a wall.
30 As for God, his way is perfect:
- The word of the Lord is tried;
- He is a shield unto all them that trust in him.
31 For who is God, save the Lord?
- And who is a rock, beside our God?
32 The God that girdeth me with strength,
- And maketh my way perfect.
33 He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet:
- And setteth me upon my high places.
34 He teacheth my hands to war;
- So that mine arms do bend a bow of brass.
35 Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation:
- And thy right hand hath holden me up,
- And thy gentleness hath made me great.
36 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me,
- And my feet have not slipped.
37 I will pursue mine enemies, and overtake them:
- Neither will I turn again till they are consumed.
38 I will smite them through that they shall not be able to rise:
- They shall fall under my feet.
39 For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle:
- Thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me.
40 Thou hast also made mine enemies turn their backs unto me,
- That I might cut off them that hate me.
41 They cried, but there was none to save:
- Even unto the Lord, but he answered them not.
42 Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind:
- I did cast them out as the mire of the streets.
43 Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people;
- Thou hast made me the head of the nations:
- A people whom I have not known shall serve me.
44 As soon as they hear of me they shall obey me:
- The strangers shall submit themselves unto me.
45 The strangers shall fade away,
- And shall come trembling out of their close places.
46 The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock;
- And exalted be the God of my salvation:
47 Even the God that executeth vengeance for me,
- And subdueth peoples under me.
48 He rescueth me from mine enemies:
- Yea, thou liftest me up above them that rise up against me:
- Thou deliverest me from the violent man.
49 Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the nations,
- And will sing praises unto thy name.
50 Great deliverance giveth he to his king;
- And sheweth lovingkindness to his anointed,
- To David and to his seed, for evermore.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
- And the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2 Day unto day uttereth speech,
- And night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language;
- Their voice cannot be heard.
4 Their line is gone out through all the earth,
- And their words to the end of the world.
- In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
- And rejoiceth as a strong man to run his course.
6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven,
- And his circuit unto the ends of it:
- And there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul:
- The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart:
- The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever:
- The judgements of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold:
- Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned:
- In keeping of them there is great reward.
12 Who can discern his errors?
- Clear thou me from hidden faults.
13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins;
- Let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be perfect,
- And I shall be clear from great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight,
- O Lord, my rock, and my redeemer.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 The Lord answer thee in the day of trouble;
- The name of the God of Jacob set thee up on high;
2 Send thee help from the sanctuary,
- And strengthen thee out of Zion;
3 Remember all thy offerings,
- And accept thy burnt sacrifice;
4 Grant thee thy heart’s desire,
- And fulfil all thy counsel.
5 We will triumph in thy salvation,
- And in the name of our God we will set up our banners:
- The Lord fulfil all thy petitions.
6 Now know I that the Lord saveth his anointed;
- He will answer him from his holy heaven
- With the saving strength of his right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses:
- But we will make mention of the name of the Lord our God.
8 They are bowed down and fallen:
- But we are risen, and stand upright.
9 Save, Lord:
- Let the King answer us when we call.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 The king shall joy in thy strength, O Lord;
- And in thy salvation how greatly shall he rejoice!
2 Thou hast given him his heart’s desire,
- And hast not withholden the request of his lips. [Selah
3 For thou preventest him with the blessings of goodness:
- Thou settest a crown of fine gold on his head.
4 He asked life of thee, thou gavest it him;
- Even length of days for ever and ever.
5 His glory is great in thy salvation
- Honour and majesty dost thou lay upon him.
6 For thou makest him most blessed for ever:
- Thou makest him glad with joy in thy presence.
7 For the king trusteth in the Lord,
- And through the lovingkindness of the Most High he shall not be moved.
8 Thine hand shall find out all thine enemies:
- Thy right hand shall find out those that hate thee.
9 Thou shalt make them as a fiery furnace in the time of thine anger.
- The Lord shall swallow them up in his wrath,
- And the fire shall devour them.
10 Their fruit shalt thou destroy from the earth,
- And their seed from among the children of men.
11 For they intended evil against thee:
- They imagined a device, which they are not able to perform.
12 For thou shalt make them turn their back,
- Thou shalt make ready with thy bowstrings against the face of them.
13 Be thou exalted, O Lord, in thy strength:
- So will we sing and praise thy power.
For the Chief Musician; set to Aijeleth hash-Shahar. A Psalm of David.
1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
- Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
2 O my God, I cry in the day-time, but thou answerest not;
- And in the night season, and am not silent.
3 But thou art holy,
- O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
4 Our fathers trusted in thee:
- They trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered:
- They trusted in thee, and were not ashamed.
6 But I am a worm, and no man;
- A reproach of men, and despised of the people.
7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn:
- They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 Commit thyself unto the Lord; let him deliver him:
- Let him deliver him, seeing he delighteth in him.
9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb:
- Thou didst make me trust when I was upon my mother’s breasts.
10 I was cast upon thee from the womb:
- Thou art my God from my mother’s belly.
11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near;
- For there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have compassed me:
- Strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
13 They gape upon me with their mouth,
- As a ravening and a roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water,
- And all my bones are out of joint:
- My heart is like wax;
- It is melted in the midst of my bowels.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd;
- And my tongue cleaveth to my jaws;
- And thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
16 For dogs have compassed me:
- The assembly of evil-doers have inclosed me;
- They pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I may tell all my bones;
- They look and stare upon me:
18 They part my garments among them,
- And upon my vesture do they cast lots.
19 But be not thou far off, O Lord:
- O thou my succour, haste thee to help me.
20 Deliver my soul from the sword;
- My darling from the power of the dog.
21 Save me from the hon’s mouth;
- Yea, from the horns of the wild-oxen thou hast answered me.
22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren:
- In the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
23 Ye that fear the Lord, praise him;
- All ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him;
- And stand in awe of him, all ye the seed of Israel.
24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
- Neither hath he hid his face from him;
- But when he cried unto him, he heard.
25 Of thee cometh my praise in the great congregation:
- I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied:
- They shall praise the Lord that seek after him:
- Let your heart live for ever.
27 All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn unto the Lord:
- And all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
28 For the kingdom is the Lord’s:
- And he is the ruler over the nations.
29 All the fat ones of the earth shall eat and worship:
- All they that go down to the dust shall bow before him,
- Even he that cannot keep his soul alive.
30 A seed shall serve him;
- It shall be told of the Lord unto the next generation.
31 They shall come and shall declare his righteousness
- Unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done it.
A Psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
- He leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul:
- He guideth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
- I will fear no evil; for thou art with me:
- Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
- Thou hast anointed my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
- And I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
A Psalm of David.
1 The earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof;
- The world, and they that dwell therein.
2 For he hath founded it upon the seas,
- And established it upon the floods.
3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord?
- And who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart;
- Who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity,
- And hath not sworn deceitfully.
5 He shall receive a blessing from the Lord,
- And righteousness from the God of his salvation.
6 This is the generation of them that seek after him,
- That seek thy face, O God of Jacob. [Selah
7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates;
- And be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors:
- And the King of glory shall come in.
8 Who is the King of glory?
- The Lord strong and mighty,
- The Lord mighty in battle.
9 Lift up your heads, O ye gates;
- Yea, lift them up, ye everlasting doors:
- And the King of glory shall come in.
10 Who is this King of glory?
- The Lord of hosts,
- He is the King of glory. [Selah
A Psalm of David
1 Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, in thee have I trusted,
- Let me not be ashamed;
- Let not mine enemies triumph over me.
3 Yea, none that wait on thee shall be ashamed:
- They shall be ashamed that deal treacherously without cause.
4 Shew me thy ways, O Lord;
- Teach me thy paths.
5 Guide me in thy truth, and teach me;
- For thou art the God of my salvation;
- On thee do I wait all the day.
6 Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses;
- For they have been ever of old.
7 Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions:
- According to thy lovingkindness remember thou me,
- For thy goodness’ sake, O Lord.
8 Good and upright is the Lord:
- Therefore will he instruct sinners in the way.
9 The meek will he guide in judgement:
- And the meek will he teach his way.
10 All the paths of the Lord are lovingkindness and truth
- Unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
11 For thy name’s sake, O Lord,
- Pardon mine iniquity, for it is great.
12 What man is he that feareth the Lord?
- Him shall he instruct in the way that he shall choose.
13 His soul shall dwell at ease;
- And his seed shall inherit the land.
14 The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him;
- And he will shew them his covenant.
15 Mine eyes are ever toward the Lord;
- For he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
16 Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me;
- For I am desolate and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged:
- O bring thou me out of my distresses.
18 Consider mine affliction and my travail;
- And forgive all my sins.
19 Consider mine enemies, for they are many;
- And they hate me with cruel hatred.
20 O keep my soul, and deliver me:
- Let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in thee.
21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,
- For I wait on thee.
22 Redeem Israel, O God,
- Out of all his troubles.
A Psalm of David.
1 Judge me, O Lord, for I have walked in mine integrity:
- I have trusted also in the Lord without wavering.
2 Examine me, O Lord, and prove me;
- Try my reins and my heart.
3 For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes;
- And I have walked in thy truth.
4 I have not sat with vain persons;
- Neither will I go in with dissemblers.
5 I hate the congregation of evil-doers,
- And will not sit with the wicked.
6 I will wash mine hands in innocency;
- So will I compass thine altar, O Lord:
7 That I may make the voice of thanksgiving to be heard,
- And tell of all thy wondrous works.
8Lord, I love the habitation of thy house,
- And the place where thy glory dwelleth.
9 Gather not my soul with sinners,
- Nor my life with men of blood:
10 In whose hands is mischief,
- And their right hand is full of bribes.
11 But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity:
- Redeem me, and be merciful unto me.
12 My foot standeth in an even place:
- In the congregations will I bless the Lord.
A Psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
- The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evil-doers came upon me to eat up my flesh,
- Even mine adversaries and my foes, they stumbled and fell.
3 Though an host should encamp against me,
- My heart shall not fear:
- Though war should rise against me,
- Even then will I be confident.
4 One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after;
- That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
- To behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble he shall keep me secretly in his pavilion:
- In the covert of his tabernacle shall he hide me;
- He shall lift me up upon a rock.
6 And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me;
- And I will offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy;
- I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.
7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice:
- Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
8When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee,
- Thy face, Lord, will I seek.
9 Hide not thy face from me;
- Put not thy servant away in anger:
- Thou hast been my help;
- Cast me not off, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
10 For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
- But the Lord will take me up.
11 Teach me thy way, O Lord;
- And lead me in a plain path,
- Because of mine enemies.
12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine adversaries:
- For false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
13I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord
- In the land of the living.
14 Wait on the Lord:
- Be strong, and let thine heart take courage;
- Yea, wait thou on the Lord.
A Psalm of David.
1 Unto thee, O Lord, will I call;
- My rock, be not thou deaf unto me:
- Lest, if thou be silent unto me,
- I become like them that go down into the pit.
2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee,
- When I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.
3 Draw me not away with the wicked,
- And with the workers of iniquity;
- Which speak peace with their neighbours,
- But mischief is in their hearts.
4 Give them according to their work, and according to the wickedness of their doings:
- Give them after the operation of their hands;
- Render to them their desert.
5 Because they regard not the works of the Lord,
- Nor the operation of his hands,
- He shall break them down and not build them up.
6 Blessed be the Lord,
- Because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.
7 The Lord is my strength and my shield;
- My heart hath trusted in him, and I am helped:
- Therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth;
- And with my song will I praise him.
8 The Lord is their strength,
- And he is a strong hold of salvation to his anointed.
9 Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance:
- Feed them also, and bear them up for ever.
A Psalm of David
1 Give unto the Lord, O ye sons of the mighty,
- Give unto the Lord glory and strength.
2 Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name;
- Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters:
- The God of glory thundereth,
- Even the Lord upon many waters.
4 The voice of the Lord is powerful;
- The voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
5 The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars;
- Yea, the Lord breaketh in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf;
- Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild-ox.
7 The voice of the Lord cleaveth the flames of fire.
8 The voice of the Lord shaketh the wilderness;
- The Lord shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the Lord maketh the hinds to calve,
- And strippeth the forests bare:
- And in his temple every thing saith, Glory.
10 The Lord sat as king at the Flood;
- Yea, the Lord sitteth as king for ever.
11 The Lord will give strength unto his people;
- The Lord will bless his people with peace.
A Psalm; a Song at the Dedication of the House; a Psalm of David.
1 I will extol thee, O Lord; for thou hast raised me up,
- And hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
2 O Lord my God,
- I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
3 O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from Sheol:
- Thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
4 Sing praise unto the Lord, O ye saints of his,
- And give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment;
- In his favour is life:
- Weeping may tarry for the night,
- But joy cometh in the morning.
6 As for me, I said in my prosperity,
- I shall never be moved.
7 Thou, Lord, of thy favour hadst made my mountain to stand strong:
- Thou didst hide thy face; I was troubled.
8 I cried to thee, O Lord;
- And unto the Lord I made supplication:
9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit?
- Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
10 Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me:
- Lord, be thou my helper.
11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing;
- Thou hast loosed my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness:
12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent.
- O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed:
- Deliver me in thy righteousness.
2 Bow down thine ear unto me; deliver me speedily:
- Be thou to me a strong rock, an house of defence to save me.
3 For thou art my rock and my fortress;
- Therefore for thy name’s sake lead me and guide me.
4 Pluck me out of the net that they have laid privily for me;
- For thou art my strong hold.
5 Into thine hand I commend my spirit:
- Thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, thou God of truth.
6 I hate them that regard lying vanities:
- But I trust in the Lord.
7 I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy:
- For thou hast seen my affliction;
- Thou hast known my soul in adversities:
8 And thou hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy;
- Thou hast set my feet in a large place.
9 Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in distress:
- Mine eye wasteth away with grief, yea, my soul and my body.
10 For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing:
- My strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are wasted away.
11 Because of all mine adversaries I am become a reproach,
- Yea, unto my neighbours exceedingly, and a fear to mine acquaintance:
- They that did see me without fled from me.
12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind:
- I am like a broken vessel.
13 For I have heard the defaming of many,
- Terror on every side:
- While they took counsel together against me,
- They devised to take away my life.
14 But I trusted in thee, O Lord:
- I said, Thou art my God.
15 My times are in thy hand:
- Deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.
16 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant:
- Save me in thy lovingkindness.
17 Let me not be ashamed, O Lord; for I have called upon thee:
- Let the wicked be ashamed, let them be silent in Sheol.
18 Let the lying lips be dumb;
- Which speak against the righteous insolently,
- With pride and contempt.
19 Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee,
- Which thou hast wrought for them that put their trust in thee, before the sons of men!
20 In the covert of thy presence shalt thou hide them from the plottings of man:
- Thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.
21 Blessed be the Lord:
- For he hath shewed me his marvellous lovingkindness in a strong city.
22 As for me, I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes:
- Nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.
23 O love the Lord, all ye his saints:
- The Lord preserveth the faithful,
- And plentifully rewardeth the proud doer.
24 Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
- All ye that hope in the Lord.
A Psalm of David. Maschil.
1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity,
- And in whose spirit there is no guile.
3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old
- Through my roaring all the day long.
4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me:
- My moisture was changed as with the drought of summer. [Selah
5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid:
- I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord;
- And thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. [Selah
6 For this let every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found:
- Surely when the great waters overflow they shall not reach unto him.
7 Thou art my hiding place; thou wilt preserve me from trouble;
- Thou wilt compass me about with songs of deliverance. [Selah
8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go:
- I will counsel thee with mine eye upon thee.
9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding:
- Whose trappings must be bit and bridle to hold them in,
- Else they will not come near unto thee.
10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked:
- But he that trusteth in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about.
11 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous:
- And shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.
1 Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous:
- Praise is comely for the upright.
2 Give thanks unto the Lord with harp:
- Sing praises unto him with the psaltery of ten strings.
3 Sing unto him a new song;
- Play skilfully with a loud noise.
4 For the word of the Lord is right;
- And all his work is done in faithfulness.
5 He loveth righteousness and judgement:
- The earth is full of the lovingkindness of the Lord.
6 By the word of the Lord were the heavens made;
- And all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
7 He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap:
- He layeth up the deeps in storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord:
- Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.
9 For he spake, and it was done;
- He commanded, and it stood fast.
10 The Lord bringeth the counsel of the nations to nought:
- He maketh the thoughts of the peoples to be of none effect.
11 The counsel of the Lord standeth fast for ever,
- The thoughts of his heart to all generations.
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord;
- The people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
13 The Lord looketh from heaven;
- He beholdeth all the sons of men;
14 From the place of his habitation he looketh forth
- Upon all the inhabitants of the earth;
15 He that fashioneth the hearts of them all,
- That considereth all their works.
16 There is no king saved by the multitude of an host:
- A mighty man is not delivered by great strength.
17 An horse is a vain thing for safety:
- Neither shall he deliver any by his great power.
18 Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him,
- Upon them that hope in his mercy;
19 To deliver their soul from death,
- And to keep them alive in famine.
20 Our soul hath waited for the Lord:
- He is our help and our shield.
21 For our heart shall rejoice in him,
- Because we have trusted in his holy name.
22 Let thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us,
- According as we have hoped in thee.
A Psalm of David; when he changed his behaviour before Abimelech, who drove him away, and he departed
1 I will bless the Lord at all times:
- His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord:
- The meek shall hear thereof, and be glad.
3 O magnify the Lord with me,
- And let us exalt his name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me,
- And delivered me from all my fears.
5 They looked unto him, and were lightened:
- And their faces shall never be confounded.
6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him,
- And saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him,
- And delivereth them.
8 O taste and see that the Lord is good:
- Blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
9 O fear the Lord, ye his saints:
- For there is no want to them that fear him.
10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger:
- But they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing.
11 Come, ye children, hearken unto me:
- I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 What man is he that desireth life,
- And loveth many days, that he may see good?
13 Keep thy tongue from evil,
- And thy lips from speaking guile.
14 Depart from evil, and do good;
- Seek peace, and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous,
- And his ears are open unto their cry.
16 The face of the Lord is against them that do evil,
- To cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
17The righteous cried, and the Lord heard,
- And delivered them out of all their troubles.
18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart,
- And saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous:
- But the Lord delivereth him out of them all.
20 He keepeth all his bones:
- Not one of them is broken.
21 Evil shall slay the wicked:
- And they that hate the righteous shall be condemned.
22 The Lord redeemeth the soul of his servants:
- And none of them that trust in him shall be condemned.
A Psalm of David.
1 Strive thou, O Lord, with them that strive with me:
- Fight thou against them that fight against me.
2 Take hold of shield and buckler,
- And stand up for mine help.
3 Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that pursue me:
- Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
4 Let them be ashamed and brought to dishonour that seek after my soul:
- Let them be turned back and confounded that devise my hurt.
5 Let them be as chaff before the wind,
- And the angel of the Lord driving them on.
6 Let their way be dark and slippery,
- And the angel of the Lord pursuing them.
7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit,
- Without cause have they digged a pit for my soul.
8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares;
- And let his net that he hath hid catch himself:
- With destruction let him fall therein.
9 And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord:
- It shall rejoice in his salvation.
10 All my bones shall say, Lord, who is like unto thee,
- Which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him,
- Yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?
11 Unrighteous witnesses rise up;
- They ask me of things that I know not.
12 They reward me evil for good,
- To the bereaving of my soul.
13 But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth:
- I afflicted my soul with fasting;
- And my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
14 I behaved myself as though it had been my friend or my brother:
- I bowed down mourning, as one that bewaileth his mother.
15 But when I halted they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together:
- The abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not;
- They did tear me, and ceased not:
16 Like the profane mockers in feasts,
- They gnashed upon me with their teeth.
17 Lord, how long wilt thou look on?
- Rescue my soul from their destructions,
- My darling from the lions.
18 I will give thee thanks in the great congregation:
- I will praise thee among much people.
19 Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me:
- Neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
20 For they speak not peace:
- But they devise deceitful words against them that are quiet in the land.
21 Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me;
- They said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.
22 Thou hast seen it, O Lord; keep not silence:
- O Lord, be not far from me.
23 Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgement,
- Even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
24 Judge me, O Lord my God, according to thy righteousness;
- And let them not rejoice over me.
25 Let them not say in their heart, Aha, so would we have it:
- Let them not say, We have swallowed him up.
26 Let them be ashamed and confounded together that rejoice at mine hurt:
- Let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.
27 Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause:
- Yea, let them say continually, The Lord be magnified,
- Which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
28 And my tongue shall talk of thy righteousness,
- And of thy praise all the day long.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David the servant of the Lord.
1 The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart,
- There is no fear of God before his eyes.
2 For he flattereth himself in his own eyes,
- That his iniquity shall not be found out and be hated.
3 The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit:
- He hath left off to be wise and to do good.
4 He deviseth iniquity upon his bed;
- He setteth himself in a way that is not good;
- He abhorreth not evil.
5 Thy lovingkindness, O Lord, is in the heavens;
- Thy faithfulness reacheth unto the skies.
6 Thy righteousness is like the mountains of God;
- Thy judgements are a great deep:
- O Lord, thou preservest man and beast.
7 How precious is thy lovingkindness, O God!
- And the children of men take refuge under the shadow of thy wings.
8 They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house;
- And thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.
9 For with thee is the fountain of life:
- In thy light shall we see light.
10 O continue thy lovingkindness unto them that know thee;
- And thy righteousness to the upright in heart.
11 Let not the foot of pride come against me,
- And let not the hand of the wicked drive me away.
12 There are the workers of iniquity fallen:
- They are thrust down, and shall not be able to rise.
A Psalm of David.
1 Fret not thyself because of evil-doers,
- Neither be thou envious against them that work unrighteousness.
2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass,
- And wither as the green herb.
3 Trust in the Lord, and do good;
- Dwell in the land, and follow after faithfulness.
4 Delight thyself also in the Lord;
- And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5 Commit thy way unto the Lord;
- Trust also in him, and he shall bring it to pass.
6 And he shall make thy righteousness to go forth as the light,
- And thy judgement as the noonday.
7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him:
- Fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way,
- Because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath:
- Fret not thyself, it tendeth only to evil-doing.
9 For evil-doers shall be cut off:
- But those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the land.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be:
- Yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and he shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the land;
- And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
12 The wicked plotteth against the just,
- And gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
13 The Lord shall laugh at him:
- For he seeth that his day is coming.
14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow;
- To cast down the poor and needy,
- To slay such as be upright in the way:
15 Their sword shall enter into their own heart,
- And their bows shall be broken.
16 Better is a little that the righteous hath
- Than the abundance of many wicked.
17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken:
- But the Lord upholdeth the righteous.
18 The Lord knoweth the days of the perfect:
- And their inheritance shall be for ever.
19 They shall not be ashamed in the time of evil
- And in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.
20 But the wicked shall perish,
- And the enemies of the Lord shall be as the excellency of the pastures:
- They shall consume; in smoke shall they consume away.
21 The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again:
- But the righteous dealeth graciously, and giveth.
22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the land;
- And they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
23 A man’s goings are established of the Lord;
- And he delighteth in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down:
- For the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.
25 I have been young, and now am old;
- Yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken,
- Nor his seed begging their bread.
26 All the day long he dealeth graciously, and lendeth;
- And his seed is blessed.
27 Depart from evil, and do good;
- And dwell for evermore.
28 For the Lord loveth judgement,
- And forsaketh not his saints;
- They are preserved for ever:
- But the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
29 The righteous shall inherit the land,
- And dwell therein for ever.
30 The mouth of the righteous talketh of wisdom,
- And his tongue speaketh judgement.
31 The law of his God is in his heart;
- None of his steps shall slide.
32 The wicked watcheth the righteous,
- And seeketh to slay him.
33 The Lord will not leave him in his hand,
- Nor condemn him when he is judged.
34 Wait on the Lord, and keep his way,
- And he shall exalt thee to inherit the land:
- When the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
35 I have seen the wicked in great power,
- And spreading himself like a green tree in its native soil.
36 But one passed by, and, lo, he was not:
- Yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.
37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright:
- For the latter end of that man is peace.
38 As for transgressors, they shall be destroyed together:
- The latter end of the wicked shall be cut off.
39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord:
- He is their strong hold in the time of trouble.
40 And the Lord helpeth them, and rescueth them:
- He rescueth them from the wicked, and saveth them,
- Because they have taken refuge in him.
A Psalm of David, to bring to remembrance.
1 O Lord, rebuke me not in thy wrath:
- Neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
2 For thine arrows stick fast in me,
- And thy hand presseth me sore.
3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine indignation;
- Neither is there any health in my bones because of my sin.
4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head:
- As an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
5 My wounds stink and are corrupt,
- Because of my foolishness.
6 I am pained and bowed down greatly;
- I go mourning all the day long.
7 For my loins are filled with burning;
- And there is no soundness in my flesh.
8 I am faint and sore bruised:
- I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart.
9 Lord, all my desire is before thee;
- And my groaning is not hid from thee.
10 My heart throbbeth, my strength faileth me:
- As for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.
11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my plague;
- And my kinsmen stand afar off.
12 They also that seek after my life lay snares for me;
- And they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things,
- And imagine deceits all the day long.
13 But I, as a deaf man, hear not;
- And I am as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.
14 Yea, I am as a man that heareth not,
- And in whose mouth are no reproofs.
15 For in thee, O Lord, do I hope:
- Thou wilt answer, O Lord my God.
16 For I said, Lest they rejoice over me:
- When my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me.
17 For I am ready to halt,
- And my sorrow is continually before me.
18 For I will declare mine iniquity;
- I will be sorry for my sin.
19 But mine enemies are lively, and are strong:
- And they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.
20 They also that render evil for good
- Are adversaries unto me, because I follow the thing that is good.
21 Forsake me not, O Lord:
- O my God, be not far from me.
22 Make haste to help me,
- O Lord my salvation.
For the Chief Musician, for Jeduthun. A Psalm of David.
1 I said, I will take heed to my ways,
- That I sin not with my tongue:
- I will keep my mouth with a bridle,
- While the wicked is before me.
2 I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good;
- And my sorrow was stirred.
3 My heart was hot within me;
- While I was musing the fire kindled:
- Then spake I with my tongue:
4Lord, make me to know mine end,
- And the measure of my days, what it is;
- Let me know how frail I am.
5 Behold, thou hast made my days as handbreadths;
- And mine age is as nothing before thee:
- Surely every man at his best estate is altogether vanity. [Selah
6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew:
- Surely they are disquieted in vain:
- He heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.
7 And now, Lord, what wait I for?
- My hope is in thee.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions:
- Make me not the reproach of the foolish.
9 I was dumb, I opened not my mouth;
- Because thou didst it.
10 Remove thy stroke away from me:
- I am consumed by the blow of thine hand.
11 When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity,
- Thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth:
- Surely every man is vanity. [Selah
12 Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear unto my cry;
- Hold not thy peace at my tears:
- For I am a stranger with thee,
- A sojourner, as all my fathers were.
13 O spare me, that I may recover strength,
- Before I go hence, and be no more.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 I waited patiently for the Lord;
- And he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay;
- And he set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God:
- Many shall see it, and fear,
- And shall trust in the Lord.
4 Blessed is the man that maketh the Lord his trust,
- And respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
5 Many, O Lord my God, are the wonderful works which thou hast done,
- And thy thoughts which are to us-ward:
- They cannot be set in order unto thee;
- If I would declare and speak of them,
- They are more than can be numbered.
6 Sacrifice and offering thou hast no delight in;
- Mine ears hast thou opened:
- Burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
7 Then said I, Lo, I am come;
- In the roll of the book it is written of me:
8 I delight to do thy will, O my God;
- Yea, thy law is within my heart.
9 I have published righteousness in the great congregation;
- Lo, I will not refrain my lips,
- O Lord, thou knowest.
10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart;
- I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation:
- I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.
11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord:
- Let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.
12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about,
- Mine iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up;
- They are more than the hairs of mine head, and my heart hath failed me.
13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me:
- Make haste to help me, O Lord.
14 Let them be ashamed and confounded together
- That seek after my soul to destroy it:
- Let them be turned backward and brought to dishonour
- That delight in my hurt.
15 Let them be desolate by reason of their shame
- That say unto me, Aha, Aha.
16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee:
- Let such as love thy salvation say continually,
- The Lord be magnified.
17 But I am poor and needy;
- Yet the Lord thinketh upon me:
- Thou art my help and my deliverer;
- Make no tarrying, O my God.
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 Blessed is he that considereth the poor:
- The Lord will deliver him in the day of evil.
2 The Lord will preserve him, and keep him alive, and he shall be blessed upon the earth;
- And deliver not thou him unto the will of his enemies.
3 The Lord will support him upon the couch of languishing:
- Thou makest all his bed in his sickness.
4 I said, O Lord, have mercy upon me:
- Heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.
5 Mine enemies speak evil against me, saying,
- When shall he die, and his name perish?
6 And if he come to see me, he speaketh vanity;
- His heart gathereth iniquity to itself:
- When he goeth abroad, he telleth it.
7 All that hate me whisper together against me:
- Against me do they devise my hurt.
8 An evil disease, say they, cleaveth fast unto him:
- And now that he lieth he shall rise up no more.
9 Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread,
- Hath lifted up his heel against me.
10 But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon me, and raise me up,
- That I may requite them.
11 By this I know that thou delightest in me,
- Because mine enemy doth not triumph over me.
12 And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity,
- And settest me before thy face for ever.
13 Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
- From everlasting and to everlasting.
- Amen, and Amen.
Or, in whatsoever he doeth he shall prosper
Or, tumultuously assemble
Some ancient versions render, Lay hold of (or, Receive) instruction others, Worship in purity.
Or, take refuge
Or, Be gracious unto me
Or, one that he favoureth
Or, Be ye angry
Or, in solitude
Or, wind instruments
Or, The evil man
Or, them that lie in wait for me
Or, a yawning gulf
Heb. make smooth their tongue.
Or, from their counsels
Or, So shall all those . . . rejoice, they shall ever shout . . . and thou shalt defend them: they also . . . shall be joyful in thee
Or, the eighth
See Gen xxxvii. 35.
Or, take refuge
Or, So shall
Or, be it unto me
Or, Surely he will again whet
So some ancient versions. The Hebrew is obscure.
Or, the angels Heb. Elohim.
Or, Most High; because mine &c.
Or, O thou enemy, desolations are come to a perpetual end
Or, And their cities thou hast overthrown
Heb plucked up.
Or, For when he maketh . . . he remembereth
Or, saving help
Or, He snareth the wicked
Or, he doth hotly pursue the poor
Heb. is set on fire
Or, They are taken
Or, blesseth the covetous, but contemneth &c.
Another reading is, And being crushed
Or, travail and grief
Or, ye birds
Or, For the foundations are destroyed; what hath the righteous wrought?
Or, righteous deeds
Or, His countenance doth behold the upright
Or, the eighth
Or, faithfulness faileth
Heb. with us.
Or, in the safety he panteth for
Or, deal wisely
Or, returneth to
Or, He slandereth
Or, He sweareth
Some ancient versions have, to his friend
Or, He putteth
So the Sept., Vulg. and Syr. The Hebrew text as pointed reads, Thou hast said, O my soul.
Or, the Lord
Or, And the excellent . . . delight: their &c.
Or, give gifts for
Or, godly Or, beloved
Or, the pit
Or, Thine eyes behold with equity
Or, findest no evil purpose in me; my mouth &c.
Or, From those that rise up against thy right hand
Or, They have shut up their heart:
Or, the wicked, which is thy sword
Or, men which are thy hand
Or, From men whose portion in life is of the world
Or, let me
Heb. form. See Num. xii. 8.
See 2 Sam. xxii.
Or, in his wrath
Or, And he shot out lightnings
Heb. caused to bow.
Or, wilt make
Or, yield feigned obedience Heb. lie.
Heb. the droppings of the honeycomb.
Or, from the proud
Or, meal offerings
Heb. accept as fat.
Or, as some ancient versions have, O Lord, save the king; and answer &c.
Or, good things
Heb. settest him to be blessings. See Gen xii 2.
Or, presence Heb countenance.
That is, The hind of the morning
Or, Far from my help are the words of my roaring
Or, but find no rest
Or, art enthroned upon
Or, He trusted on the Lord, that he would deliver him
So the Sept., Vulg. and Syr. According to other ancient versions, They bound. The Hebrew text as pointed reads, Like a lion.
Heb My only one.
Or, It shall be counted unto the Lord for his generation
Heb. waters of rest.
Or, deep darkness (and so elsewhere)
Heb. for length of days.
Or, even Jacob
So some ancient versions.
Or, counsel Or, friendship
Or, And his covenant, to make them know it
Or, as otherwise read, relieve thou, and bring me &c.
Or, I shall not slide
Or, publish with the voice of thanksgiving
Heb. of the tabernacle of thy glory.
Or, Take not away
Or, strong hold
Or, In this
Or, the pleasantness
Or, consider his temple
Or, shouting Or, trumpetsound
Or, When my father and my mother forsake me, the Lord &c.
Or, them that he in wait for me
Or, toward the innermost place of thy sanctuary
According to some ancient versions, a strength unto his people.
Or, sons of God
Or, gods See Ex. xv. 11.
Or, in holy array
Or, heweth out flames of fire
Another reading is, from among them that go down to the pit.
Heb. memorial. See Ex. iii. 15.
Or, His favour is for a life time
Heb. may come in to lodge at even
Or, the adversities of my soul
Or, wait for
Or, in the time of finding out sin
Or, That they come not near
Or, a great power
Or, wait for
Or, feigned madness
Or, held guilty
Or, and the battle axe against &c.
Heb. darkness and slippery places.
Or, the pit of their net
Or, Into that very destruction let him fall
Or, Malicious See Ex xxiii. 1
Or, shall return
Or, those whom I knew not
Heb. My only one.
Or, a mighty people
Heb. Aha, our desire.
Heb. have pleasure in my righteousness
Or, Transgression saith to the wicked
Or, uttereth its oracle
Or, according to many ancient versions, his
Or, it (or, he) flattereth him in his eyes
Or, Until his iniquity be found and be hated Heb. Concerning the finding out of his iniquity and hating it.
Or, So shalt thou dwell in the land and feed securely
Heb. feed on.
Or, So shalt thou have thy delight in &c.
Heb. Roll thy way upon the Lord.
Or, Be still before (Heb. silent to) the Lord
Or, the earth (and so in vv. 11, 22, 29, 84)
Or, the fat of lambs
Or, like smoke
Or, upholdeth his hand
Or, Yet he passed away
Or, according to some ancient versions. I passed by
Or, there is a reward (or, future or, posterity) for the man of peace
Or, to make memorial
Heb lighted on me.
Heb a bridle (or, muzzle) for my mouth.
Or, and had no comfort Heb. away from good.
Heb. standing firm.
Heb a breath.
Or, as a shadow
Or, for vanity
Or, consumest like a moth his delights
Heb a breath.
Or, Look away from me
Heb. brighten up.
Heb. a pit of tumult or destruction
Or, fall away treacherously
Or, There is none to be compared unto thee
Or, meal offering
Heb. Ears hast thou digged (or, pierced) for me.
Or, prescribed to
Or, proclaimed glad tidings of
Or, for a reward of
Or, the weak
Or, The Lord preserve
Or, in the land
Or, The Lord support
Heb. turnest, or, changest
Or, Some wicked thing
Or, is poured out upon him