Front Page Titles (by Subject) The Non-Conformist - The Manchester School of Economics
The Non-Conformist - William Dyer Grampp, The Manchester School of Economics 
The Manchester School of Economics (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1960).
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
This book is published online with the kind permission of the copyright holder, the author William Grampp.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
- Page, William, ed. Commerce and Industry. Tables of Statistics for the British Empire from 1815. London, 1919.
- Parker, C. S., ed. Sir Robert Peel from his Private Papers. 3 vols. London, 1891-99.
- The Place Collection. Uncatalogued clippings, pamphlets, letters, etc. British Museum.
- Place, Francis. Political Correspondence. Vol. 4. MS. 35151. British Museum.
- The Political Economy Club. Minutes of Proceedings, 1821-1882, Rolls of Members, and Questions Discussed. Vol. 4. London, 1882.
- Political Economy Club. Names of Members 1821-1860:—Rules of the Club:—And List of Questions Discussed, 1833-1860. [Vol. 1] London, 1860.
- Political Economy Club. Names of Members 1821-1872:—Rules of the Club:—And List of Questions Discussed, 1860-1872: Vol. II. In Continuation of Volume I Published in 1860, etc. London, 1882.
- A Portrait of Logan Pearsall Smith, drawn from his letters and diaries and introduced by John Russell. [London, n.d.].
- Proceedings at the Fourth Monthly Soiree of the National Reform Association . . . May 26, 1851. National Reform Tracts, Nos. 21-24. London, n.d.
- Ramsay, A. A. W. Sir Robert Peel. New York, 1928.
- Report from the Select Committee on the “Bill to Regulate the Labour of Children in Mills and Factories of the United Kingdom.” [House of Commons] Session 1831-32. Vol. 15 [London, n.d.].
- Report of Minutes in Evidence Taken by the Select Committee on the State of Children Employed in the Manufactories of the United Kingdom. [House of Commons] Session 1816. Vol. 3. London, 1816.
- Rostow, W. W. “Business Cycles, Harvests, and Politics: 1790-1850,” Journal of Economic History, Vol. 1, No. 2 Nov. 1941), pp. 206-21.
- Ruskin, John. The Crown of Wild Olive. New York, n.d.
- ———. Fors Clavigera: Letters to the Workmen and Labourers of Great Britain. Vol. 7. London, 1877.
- ———. Munera Pulveris. Six Essays on the Elements of Political Economy. New York, 1882.
- ———. “Unto This Last:” Four Essays on the First Principles of Political Economy. New York, 1883.
- Russell, Lord John. Recollections and Suggestions, 1813-1873. London, 1875.
- Senior, N. W. Historical and Philosophical Essays. 2 vols. London, 1865.
- ———. Letters on the Factory Act, As It Affects Cotton Manufacture. 2d ed. London, 1844.
- Smart, William. Economic Annals of the Nineteenth Century. 2 vols. London, 1910, 1917.
- Spencer, Herbert. The Man versus the State. London, 1884. 1884.
- Tucker, Rufus S. “Real Wages of Artisans in London, 1729-1835,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 31, No. 193 (March 1936), pp. 73-84.
- Wade, John. Digest of Facts and Principles on Banking and Commerce with a Plan for Preventing Further Reactions. London, 1826.
- Young, G. M., ed. Early Victorian England, 1830-65. 2 vols. London, 1934.
THE ECONOMISTS ON THE CORN LAWS
- Blaug, Mark. Ricardian Economics, a Historical Study. New Haven, 1958.
- Cairnes, J. E. Essays in Political Economy. Theoretical and Applied. London, 1873.
- Grampp, William D. “Malthus on Money Wages and Welfare,” American Economic Review, Vol. 46, No. 5 (Dec. 1956), pp. 924-36.
- Horner, Francis. Memoirs and Correspondence of Francis Horner, M.P. Edited by Leonard Horner. 2 vols. London, 1843.
- Joplin, Thomas. Views on the Subject of Corn and Currency. London, 1826.
- Lauderdale, Earl of. A Letter on the Corn Laws. London, 1814.
- Malthus, Thomas. The Grounds of an Opinion on the Policy of Restricting the Importation of Foreign Corn. London, 1815.
- ———. An Inquiry into the Nature and Progress of Rent, etc. London, 1815.
- ———. An Investigation of the Cause of the Present High Price of Provisions. 2d ed. London, 1800.
- ———. Observations on the Effects of the Corn Laws, etc. 3d ed. London, 1815.
- Marx, Karl. Free Trade, a Speech Delivered before the Democratic Club, Brussels, Belgium, Jan. 9, 1848. Translated by Florence Kelley Wishnewetsky. London, 1892.
- M’Culloch, J. R. “Abolition of the Corn Laws,” Edinburgh Review, Vol. 41, No. 81 (Oct. 1824), pp. 55-78.
- ———. “Abolition of the Corn Laws,” ibid., Vol. 44, No. 88 (Sept. 1826), pp. 319-59.
- ———. “Changes Required in the Corn Laws,” ibid., Vol. 58, No. 118 (Jan. 1834), pp. 271-307.
- ———. Statements Illustrative of the Policy and Probable Consequences of the Proposed Repeal of the Existing Corn Laws, etc. 6th ed. London, 1841.
- ———. “Taxation and the Corn Laws,” Edinburgh Review, Vol. 33, No. 65 (Jan. 1820), pp. 155-87.
- Mill, James. An Essay on the Impolicy of a Bounty on the Exportation of Grain, etc. London, 1804.
- Mill, John Stuart. Principles of Political Economy. London, 1891.
- Packe, Michael St. John. The Life of John Stuart Mill. London, 1954.
- Ricardo, David. An Essay on the Influence of a low Price of Corn on the Profits of Stock; shewing the inexpediency of restrictions on importation; etc. London, 1815. In The Works and Correspondence of David Ricardo. Edited by Piero Sraffa and M. H. Dodd. Vol. 4, pp. 9-41. Cambridge, 1951.
- ———. The Principles of Political Economy and Taxation. London, 1929. In Works, Vol. 1.
- ———. On Protection to Agriculture. London, 1822. In Works, Vol. 4, pp. 207-70.
- Rooke, John. Free Trade and Safe Government, etc. London, 1835.
- ———. Free Trade in Corn, etc. 2d ed. London, 1835.
- Senior, N. W. “Report—On the State of Agriculture,” Quarterly Review, Vol. 25, No. 50. (July 1821), pp. 466-504.
- Smith, Adam. The Wealth of Nations. New York, 1937.
- Spence, William. Tracts on Political Economy. London, 1822.
- Thornton, William T. The Consequences of the Repeal of the Corn Laws. London .
- Tooke, Thomas. On the Currency in Connexion with the Corn Trade; etc. 2d ed. London, 1829.
- ———. A History of Prices, and of the State of the Circulation, from 1793 to 1837; etc. 2 vols. London, 1838.
- Torrens, Robert. An Essay on the External Corn Trade. 3d ed. London, 1826.
- ———. A Letter to the Right Honorable the Earl of Liverpool, on the State of the Agriculture, etc. London, 1816.
- ———. A Letter to Senior, etc. London, 1843.
- West, Sir Edward. Price of Corn and Wages of Labour, etc. London, 1826.