Front Page Titles (by Subject) I.: THE SCHOOL, ITS LEADERS, AND THE IDEAS - The Manchester School of Economics
I.: THE SCHOOL, ITS LEADERS, AND THE IDEAS - William Dyer Grampp, The Manchester School of Economics 
The Manchester School of Economics (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1960).
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
This book is published online with the kind permission of the copyright holder, the author William Grampp.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
THE SCHOOL, ITS LEADERS, AND THE IDEAS
- Annual Report of the Board of Directors of the Chamber of Commerce and Manufactures for 1848. Manchester .
- Ashton, T. S. Economic and Social Investigations in Manchester, 1833-1933. London, 1934.
- Ashworth, Henry. Recollections of Richard Cobden, M.P., and the Anti-Corn-Law League. London .
- Axon, W. E. A. The Annals of Manchester. Manchester, 1886.
- ———. Cobden as a Citizen. London, 1908.
- Bagehot, Walter. Biographical Studies. London, 1907.
- Balfour, A. J. Essays and Addresses. 3d ed. Edinburgh, 1905.
- Barrington, Emilie I. The Servant of All. Pages from the family, social, and political life of my father, James Wilson. 2 vols. London, 1927.
- Bright, John. The Diaries of John Bright. Edited by R. A. J. Walling. London, 1930.
- ———. The Public Letters of . . . John Bright. Edited by H. J. Leech. London, 1885.
- ———. A Speech of Mr. John Bright to the Rochdale Workmen’s Club, Jan. 2, 1877. Manchester, n.d.
- ———. Speeches on the Public Affairs of the last Twenty Years. 2d. ed. London, 1869.
- ———. Speeches on Questions of Public Policy by . . . John Bright. Edited by J. E. Thorold Rogers. London, 1878.
- Cobden, Richard. Diaries, 1838. Add. MS. 43673. British Museum.
- ———. Diaries, Oct. 1859-May 1861. Add. MS. 43675. British Museum.
- ———. Journals, 1836-37. Add. MS. 43672. British Museum.
- ———. Journals, 1846-47, 1849. Add. MS. 43674. British Museum.
- ———. The Political Writings of Richard Cobden. 2d ed. 2 vols. London, 1868.
- ———. Speech of Richard Cobden, Esq., M.P., on the Russian Loan Delivered . . . Jan. 18th, 1850. London, 1850.
- ———. Speeches on Questions of Public Policy by Richard Cobden. Edited by John Bright and James E. Thorold Rogers. 2 vols. London, 1870.
- Combe, George. The Constitution of Man Considered in Relation to External Objects. Edinburgh, 1828.
- The Corn Laws. An Authentic Report of the . . . Discussions in the Manchester Chamber of Commerce on the Destructive Effects of the Corn Laws, etc. London, 1839.
- Cunningham, W. The Real Richard Cobden. London, 1904.
- Dunckley, Henry. The Charter of the Nations; etc. London, 1854.
- Emmons, Robert. The Life and Opinions of Walter Richard Sickert. London, 1941.
- Gibbon, Charles. The Life of George Combe. 2 vols. London, 1878.
- Greg, W. R. Agriculture and the Corn Law. [Anti-Corn Law League] Prize Essay. Etc. Manchester, 1842.
- ———. Not Over-Production, but Deficient Consumption, the Source of our Sufferings. 2d ed. London, 1842.
- Helm, Elijah. Chapters in the History of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce. London, 1902.
- Hertz, Gerald Berkeley. The Manchester Politician 1750-1912. London, 1912.
- Hirst, Francis W., ed. Free Trade and other Fundamental Doctrines of the Manchester School. London, 1903.
- Hobson, J. A. Richard Cobden, the International Man. London, 1918.
- Hope, George. Agriculture and the Corn Law. [League] Prize Essay. Etc. Manchester, 1842.
- Hughes, Edward. The Development of Cobden’s Economic Doctrines and his Methods of Propaganda: Some Unpublished Correspondence. Manchester, 1938.
- Hume, James Deacon. Corn Laws. The evidence of James Deacon Hume, esq., late secretary to the Board of trade,upon the Corn law, before the Committee of the House of commons on the import duties in 1839. Manchester, 1839.
- ———. Letters on the Corn Laws, and the Rights of the Working Classes, etc. London, 1834.
- Hume, Joseph. On the Corn Laws, and the Claims of the Agriculturists to Relief from Taxation. Speech . . . April 27, 1836. London, 1836.
- Mallet, Louis. The Political Opinions of Richard Cobden. London, 1869.
- Morley, John. The Life of Richard Cobden. 2 vols. London, 1881.
- Morse, Arthur. Agriculture and the Corn Law. [League] Prize Essay. Etc. Manchester, 1842.
- Nevill, Lady Dorothy. The Reminiscences of Lady Dorothy Nevill. Edited by Ralph Nevill. London, 1906.
- Ouvry, H. A. Stein and his Reforms in Prussia, with Reference to the Land Question in England. London, 1873.
- Peel, Sir Robert. Peel Papers, CCCCXIII. Add. MS. 40593. British Museum.
- Platt-Higgins, Frederick. The Rise and Decline of the Free Trade Movement. Etc. London, n.d.
- Porter, G. R. The Effect of Restrictions on the Importation of Corn, etc. London, 1839.
- ———. The Progress of the Nation, etc. 3 vols. London, 1836-43.
- Proceedings of the Chamber of Commerce and Manufactures at Manchester. 1821-1865. MSS. Manchester Central Library.
- Reminiscences of Richard Cobden. Compiled by Mrs. Salis Schwabe. London, 1895.
- Report of the Directors to a Special General Meeting of the Chamber of Commerce and Manufactures at Manchester, etc. 11th March, 1841. London, 1841.
- Report of the Directors to a Special General Meeting of the Chamber of Commerce and Manufactures at Manchester, on the Effects of the Administration of the Bank of England upon the Commercial and Manufacturing Interests of the Country. Manchester, 1840.
- Report of the Directors to a Special General Meeting of the Chamber of Commerce and Manufactures at Manchester on the Injurious Effects of Restrictions on Trade. Manchester, 1841.
- Rogers, James E. Thorold. Address on Economy and Trade. London, n.d.
- ———. Cobden and Modern Political Opinion. London, 1873.
- Smith, J. B. J. B. Smith’s Papers. Corn Laws III. MS. Manchester Central Library.
- ———. J. B. Smith’s Papers. Manchester Chamber of Commerce. [Letters, etc.] MS. Manchester Central Library.
- The Speeches of Charles Pelham Villiers, Esq., Sir William Molesworth, the Marquis of Chandos, and Sir Henry Parnell, on the Corn Laws, etc. London, 1838.
- Students in the Honours School of History in the University of Manchester and Arthur Redford. Manchester Merchants and Foreign Trade 1794-1858. Manchester, 1934.
- Thompson, T. Perronet. Catechism on the Corn Laws. 21st ed. London, 1841.
- ———. Corn Law Fallacies, With the Answers. London, 1839.
- Trevelyan, G. M. The Life of John Bright. London, 1913.
- Wallas, Graham. The Life of Francis Place. London, 1898.
- Watkin, E. W. Alderman Cobden of Manchester. London .
- Wilson, James. Fluctuations of Currency, Commerce, and Manufactures; Referable to the Corn Laws. London, 1840.
- ———. Influences of the Corn Laws, etc. 2d ed. London, 1840.