Front Page Titles (by Subject) Whitehall, March 1, 1648. Att the Committee of Officers for forces & garrisons. - The Clarke Papers. Selections from the Papers of William Clarke, vol. 2
The Online Library of Liberty
A project of Liberty Fund, Inc.
Search this Title:
Whitehall, March 1, 1648. Att the Committee of Officers for forces & garrisons. - Sir William Clarke, The Clarke Papers. Selections from the Papers of William Clarke, vol. 2 
The Clarke Papers. Selections from the Papers of William Clarke, Secretary to the Council of the Army, 1647-1649, and to General Monck and the Commanders of the Army in Scotland, 1651-1660, ed. C.H. Firth (Camden Society, 1894). 4 vols.
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
The text is in the public domain.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
Whitehall, March 1, 1648. Att the Committee of Officers for forces & garrisons.
b Nothing done but a consideration of the Petition for the Generall Councell.
[b ]In the Clarke MSS. here follows a copy of the petition presented to the general and council of the officers by certain soldiers demanding the re-establishment of the representative council of agitators which had existed in 1647. It is printed in The Hunting of the Foxes from New-Market and Triplos Heaths to Whitehall by five small Beagles (late of the Armie); or the Grandee-Deceivers unmashed, that you may know them. Directed to all the Free-Commons of England, but in especiall to all that have and are still engaged in the Military Service of the Commonwealth. . . . Printed in a Corner of Freedome right opposite to the Councel of Warre, Anno Domini 1649. This pamphlet is reprinted in the Somers Tracts, ed. Scott, vol. vi., p. 44. The petition is there (p. 54) signed by five soldiers, vix., Robert Ward, Thomas Watson, William Sawyer, Simon Graunt, George Jellis. Three others have their names appended to the Petition as given in the Clarke MSS., viz. Richard Rumball, John Benger, Thomas Harbye. The examinations of Grant, Ward, Watson, and Jellis are printed in the Hunting of the Foxes. Richard Rumball, or Rumbald, rose later, obtained a commission in the army. In the summer of 1659 he was lieutenant in Col. Packer’s regiment of horse. After the Restoration he became a maltster, and occupied Rye House in Hertfordshire. He took a prominent part in the Rye House Plot, was to have led the attack on the King’s person, and was finally executed at Edinburgh in 1685 for his share in Argyle’s rebellion. Rumbald had only one eye. “Him, therefore,” says Sprat, in his History of the Rye House Plot, “as their most daring captain, and by reason of a blemish in one of his eyes, they [the conspirators] were wont in common discourse to call Hannibal.” (A true account and Declaration of the horrid conspiracy to assassinate the late King, Charles II., ed. 1696, 8vo, part i., p. 69; part ii., p. 53.) On his death see Burnet’s Own Time, iii., 32, ed. 1833.