Front Page Titles (by Subject) The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 8
Edward Gibbon, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 8 
The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, ed. J.B. Bury with an Introduction by W.E.H. Lecky (New York: Fred de Fau and Co., 1906), in 12 vols. Vol. 8.
This Title Is Available In The Following Formats:
|HTML||1.3 MB||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.|
|HTML by Chapter||(varies)||View this title one chapter at a time.|
|Simplified HTML||1.3 MB||This layout is optimized for screen readers and other assistive devices for the visually impaired.|
|Facsimile PDF||22.74 MB|
This is a facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.
A version compatible with Kindle (Mobi format).
|EBook PDF||1.87 MB|
This text-based PDF or EBook was created from the HTML version of this book and is part of the Portable Library of Liberty.
|E-pub||864.04 KB||E-pub standard file for your iPad or any e-reader compatible with that format.|
About this title:
The eighth volume of a 12 volume set of Gibbon’s magesterial history of the end of the Roman Empire, one of the greatest works of history written during the Enlightenment.
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
The text is in the public domain.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
- The Works of Edward Gibbon
- List of Illustrations
- The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
- Chapter Xlv
- Chapter Xlvi
- Chapter Xlvii
- Chapter Xlviii
- Chapter Xlix
- Appendix Additional Notes By the Editor
- 1.: Authorities — ( Ch. Xlv . Sqq. and Vol. IX. Ch. L . Sqq. )
- Greek (and Other) Sources
- Latin Sources
- Oriental Sources
- I.: For the Life of Mohammad
- II.: For the Saracen Conquests
- 2.: The Avar Conquest — ( P. 9 )
- 3.: Geography of Italy In the Lombard Period, and Chronology of the Lombard Conquest — ( P. 14 )
- 4.: The Armeniac Provinces of Justinian and Maurice — ( P. 66 )
- 5.: The Race of Heraclius and Nicetas — ( P. 85 , 86 )
- 6.: Persian Kings From Chosroes I. To Yezdegerd III. — ( P. 11 )
- 7.: The Inscription of Si-ngan-fu — ( P. 190 )
- 8.: The Letter of Nicetius to Justinian — (p. 177)
- 9.: Periods of the Later Empire, 610 to 1204 — ( Ch. Xlviii .)
- 10.: A Chronological Question of the Eighth Century — ( P. 234 , 236 )
- 11.: GrÆco-roman Law — ( P. 261 )
- 12.: The Land Question — ( P. 265 )
- 13.: Interest, Credit, and Commerce — (the Rhodian Code)
- 14.: The Letters of Gregory II. To the Emperor Leo — ( P. 326 )
- 15.: The Iconoclastic Edicts of Leo III. — ( P. 319 , 320 )
- 16.: Some Questions Connected With the Rise of the Papal Power In the Eighth Century — ( P. 337 , 338 , 342 , 343, &c .)